Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Trudge

Well today became a spirit draining day. Only did 10-11 miles today, and it wasn't even rough terrain, but the weather was demoralizing. Today's section was supposed to have been one of the most spectacular sections yet (in the words of a local I talked to a couple of days ago, "like walking in a dream"), but the fog covered everything. It was kind of cool in its own right, but combined with the cold freezing wind, the occasional sleet, not getting to the trail until after one, and the ice, it was enough to turn my hike into a trudge. One bright spot was Burrito Girl, who gave me an apple. She would have given me more, but I had just resupplied and my food bag was already stuffed. I have no idea how the UK game went. But enough complaining, I'm being super negative. Had a great zero day, and I'm back on the trail, so things are great. Survivorman and Funsize (who I just met) are at the shelter tonight. I'm hoping Survivorman's snoring will scare the mice away. It's scaring me. Bunch of section/day hikers, too. I'm pretty worn out, mostly from the cold, so I'm going to hunker down in my bag. Maybe I'll add to this one later. 

3 comments:

  1. A note to cheer you! UK plays Louisville Friday night at 9:45 pm! I recorded the game against Wichita and have the TV set to record this coming game as well so that you can see it later. Praying that God will bless you with a brighter day, both physically and spiritually! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Midnight! Its Burrito Girl. Glad I could brighten your day. Wish your experience in the Smokies had been better but it does seem as if the weather has been crummy. You have a great section up ahead at Max Patch then hiking into Hot Springs. Word of advice: don't camp on top of Max Patch bald- its very windy up there. You can always camp at the second bald below it- it gets less wind and you can still see the amazing sunrise in the a.m. OOOHHH...C-A-T-S, CATS, CATS, CATS!!! Best of Wishes on your journey- I look forward to your updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Burrito Girl for your encouragement of my son! Blessings for a safe and enjoyable trip for you! Momma Sparkle

      Delete