Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Ice Cream Man

I purposefully stopped a few miles short of Bill Ackerly's home. Bill Ackerly is a legend of the trail, the Ice Cream Man. He lives just off the trail, and has welcomed hikers for decades, giving ice cream to all comers. And more intriguing to me, he's known for his croquet game. 

It was pretty fun. Bill's sister, Carita, was visiting, and turns out they're from Ky. Louisville fans, but no one's perfect. I hung out there for a couple hours. Carita won the croquet game. I had a pretty solid chance, but I tried to get fancy and blew my shot. They were pretty good though. I enjoyed my time there. But alas, all good things must come to an end, and off I hiked. 

But not that far. Not a great walking day. Felt miserable, and my body was starting to tell me I needed a break. I ran into several cool locals, and scored some strawberries, which were delicious. I didn't quite make it to the shelter I was planning on before dark, so I ended up cowboy camping on a rock ledge for the night. 

Mountains in the morning. 

Bill and Carita, croquet legends. 

Lovely view J (?)

Lovely view K

Lovely view L

Lovely view M. 







No comments:

Post a Comment