Saturday, July 19, 2014

Ups and downs

Literally. Pulled 20 miles, plus some extra due to a considerate AMC employee. This is a little out of chronologic order, but I'm still somewhat annoyed. The AT is not well marked in the Whites. In fact, it's downright confusing. I was hiking off of the southern Twin, and the terrain was rocky but not too bad. I'm hiking along, and come across a group of 10-12 people with their AMC guide, sitting in the middle of the trail, on the rocks. The guide was pontificating about how grand his job was, even spreading his arms and saying "This is my office." I ignored his cliche and kept hiking straight through the group. But then I got to Guyot shelter. Which was .7 miles off the trail. I sat down confused. Another hiker came from the opposite direction, a local, and I asked him where the AT was. He pointed back the direction I'd came. Crap. 

So I hiked back, passing Uhaul and Dozer, who'd done the same thing I had. None of us could figure out where we could have missed the turn off. Until we came to where the large group had been. They'd been literally blocking the trail, so effectively that we couldn't even see it. I was pretty upset at that moment. The a Whites are not a place you want to do extra mileage, especially not due to inconsiderate AMC guides. 

Backtrack a bit, this morning went to another hut, where they fed me. I took a look at the crew leader's ankle, which she had sprained. I recommended RICE, and asked her to open the note the other crew leader had given me. I was very curious about what it said. It was positive. I also got a text from Coconut saying they had an extra bed in the room Spice Kit's mom (Spicy Mama) had got for them.  I sent a text back saying I probably wouldn't get to the road until 8ish. 

Back to after the extra credit I did. Ran into Rugby and Big Tex. Hiked with Rugby for a while, until we got to the next hut, Zealand Falls. I'd just told him about mt additional hiking. "That's him!" I exclaimed, pointing excitedly from a few feet away. "That's the dude who blocked the trail!" I was sort of hoping to get this dude's attention, not because I wanted any sort of altercation, but because I wanted a "My bad, man." Didn't happen. Instead, an older AMC volunteer came over to deflect me. He was really good, and I wasn't looking for any sort of confrontation anyway. Mostly, at the time, I was amused because of the situation, and was chuckling to myself at the behavior of the "professional." 

Oh, back to before running into Rugby and Big Tex. This is a confusing blog entry, hope you're following. Ran into a couple coming down a side trail. The sign said "Zealand Summit." I asked them if it was worth the walk. They assured me it was. They got me good. The summit was literally a dirt patch surrounded by pine trees sufficient to block the view of everything. Would have been a good campsite, but nothing of interest other than that. 

After Zealand Falls Hut, the AT goes down a waterfall. I mean, it's doable, but a little sketchy. You wouldn't want to tackle that in the dark. But the last few miles were beautiful hiking, very smooth. I was busy thinking about how I was going to get a ride to Coconut and Spice Kit, but figured I'd find a way when I got to the road. 

Due to the detour, I ended up arriving at the trailhead at Crawford's Notch around ten to 9. When I arrived, immediately I heard a voice say "Midnight Sparkle?" What the heck? "Coconut?" Spicy Mama had driven them back to pick me up, on the off chance I showed up. Apparently they'd decided they were giving me five more minutes, and I arrived right as those ran up. I've been really blessed on this trip. 

We went to some AMC place, I honestly have no idea where. They'd even got me a plate of food set aside. I was really rather in shock at how great they were being to me. I knew there was a reason I loved those two (three now, Spicy Mama!). 

Oh, one last bizarre tale from the day. A dotay. I think that's what this guy called it. A mostly naked man was hiking up the Southern Twin when I started down it. At first I thought he was wearing a low cut kilt, then decided it was a sheet. Then decided I had no idea and while I didn't really want to talk to this guy, I was just curious enough to do so. 

"Umm, what are you wearing?" "It's a dotay!" "Is it like a kilt?" "No, it's a dotay!" "Uhh.. what's a dotay?" "It's an Indian garment. I'm trying to get them accepted over here. They're perfect for hiking, lightweight and breezy." I was actually a little disturbed by this guy's pose. He continued. "You wrap it around yourself, then roll it down, so it fits whoever." "Oh. Is it secure?" Because it definitely didn't look that way. Uhaul and Dozer were there by now, listening in. "Yes! You wrap it, then you roll it." "It looks like it could fall..." "I don't think you get it, you wrap it, then roll it!" "Okay, see you later!" 

I hiked off quickly, and Dozer and Uhaul followed. After a few minutes we started laughing. There were several "You don't get it, you wrap it, then you roll it!" jokes the rest of the day. 

My recommendation. If I scrapbooked this would go in it. Thanks Scott!

You got to wrap it, then roll it. 

This guy might make a good door, but he's a terrible window. 

I'm not even sure where this is. All the a Whites look good. 





1 comment:

  1. Ok, so the guy apparently needs Two that's 2 Dotays. After seeing his picture, I'm traumatized. Maybe he should work on getting his beer gut 'accepted over here' first. I've read several accounts of hiking the Whites, including a book titled, "Hiking Thru". EVERYONE looses the AT in the Whites, so consider it a rite of passage.

    ReplyDelete