Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Dalton, Cheshire, and short days.

The 27th wasn't a particularly exciting day. Though it was rather pleasant. A few decent views. Hiked with Buttercup in the morning. She was excited about seeing "The Cobble," a hill that her guidebook had built up as an amazing sight. I suppose it was all right. Pretty much the same same. 

I'm a little afraid that the "magic" of everything is starting to wear off. From what I've been told, the awe will return once we get to New Hampshire. All I know about Vermont is that it's supposed to be muddy. And good cheese. 

We hiked together a while, and she is pleasant company, but her pace is a little faster than I prefer, and eventually I slowed down. She's much more minimalist than I, plus in much better shape. Guess that happens when you run 50+ miles races. 

Towards evening I rolled into October Mt shelter, where I was going to sign in the register and then proceed on. Buttercup was there, along with two southbound section hikers. She had decided to stay there for the evening. There was still daylight, so I wanted to move on. 

The "Cookie Lady" lived a couple more miles farther up, so I called her to ask about camping in her yard, as I was afraid I'd get there after dark. There was no answer, so I left a message and figured if they replied, I'd stay there, and if not, then I'd move on. She was famous on the trail for giving cookies to hikers, thus her name. 

I got there slightly after 9, but there were no lights on. However, when I turned my phone on, I had a voicemail telling me to go ahead and camp, no problem. So I set up in their yard and went to sleep. 

The next day I woke up pretty early, and my tent was covered in dew. Soaked, like a big rain storm had occurred. This is always annoying, as you have to pack your tent up wet and then find someplace to pitch it to dry later on. There were still no lights and no movement around the Cookie Lady's house by the time I was ready to leave, so I figured it would be more polite to leave than to wake them up and thank them. Seemed a little counter productive. 

I proceeded to Dalton, MA, where I had intended a brief stop. There was a free shower in town at their community center, and I was running low on food. I figured I'd pick up enough food to last me until the next day, when I'd be near an actual grocery store. Buttercup caught up with me and then passed me. 

The first place I stopped in Dalton was at Tom Levardi's, a trail angel who allowed people to camp at his place in town. I just wanted to set my tent up so it would dry off, and he was amenable. He also made me an ice cream sundae, allowed me to use his bicycles, did my laundry, and offered to drive me to the grocery store. Some people on this trail are really too nice. 

I borrowed his bicycle and rode it to the community center, where a very nice lady asked me my trail name. When I told her "Midnight Sparkle," she handed me a towel and two Snickers bars. I was somewhat astonished, because I immediately assumed they did that for all thru-hikers. Nope. Buttercup had left the candy, as she believed she owed me for food I had given her. She wanted to repay me earlier, but I refused her cous-cous and other "healthy" meals. The shower was great, and I changed into some "town clothes" that Tom had provided. I really enjoy being clean. 

Next on the list was Angelica's, a sandwich shop. Awesome. If you hit Dalton up, visit. Then I returned to Tom's, and he took me to the grocery store and Dick's, where he bought a bunch of canister fuels to supply hikers with. People knew him everywhere we went. He would not allow me to buy him anything, but I snuck his order of cinnamon twists onto my bill at Taco Bell's. 

At this point, my desire to move on was faltering. Back at his place, Ro Sham Bo showed up and I figured to heck with it, I'd stay the night. My tent was already up, after all. The whole Tramily arrived, so it was nice to see them again. Also met Monologue, Alchemist, and Monty Lou. And one other person. 

I'd heard of this guy, and told people I didn't want to meet him. I'm sure he's not a bad guy, but anyone who names them self "The Greatest of All Time" is not someone I want to even add to my Facebook friends.  It's different if someone else calls you this, but choosing that as your own name? Geez.  I didn't really make a secret of my opinion. 

He came up to me smiling, and said, "Hi! I'm the Greatest of All Time!" I said "I've heard of you. I hoped I wouldn't meet you." He asked why, so I said "Are you the greatest?" He said yes. "At what?" "Huh?" "What are you the greatest at? Anything particular?" "Well, my personality." "Really? I always thought the person with the greatest personality would have a little more humility, myself." He took it well enough, I suppose. "Umm, you can call me Goat." I told him no. "To me you are 'You.'" Eh. He's young. I was probably that arrogant when I was his age. Maybe I still am. Now apparently I'm a grumpy old man. 

We stayed up talking for a while, the Tramily, Tom and myself, but went to bed relatively early, as I intended to get out of town early the next morning. Ahh, best laid plans. 

The next day was Sunday, and I decided to go to church. There was a Methodist church that had an early service. I'd never been to a Methodist church, that I could recall, so I gave that a shot. They had an interim preacher and maybe a dozen people, but they were super friendly and I enjoyed it. After leaving there, I started hiking. 

For about five hundred meters. Then I walked past an ice cream shop. Sweet Peas. They were closed, but I saw someone inside so I asked if they were open (they obviously weren't). But he said they were closed, but he'd make me whatever I wanted. The best days always start off with a milkshake. So I had a peanut butter and coffee shake. And a MT Dew. That was going to be for later down the trail. However...

Got a message from Mint Lady, my cousin who lives vaguely on the area. Her and her husband, Backup, were only a town over, so they came and met me at the ice cream shop. So I had a second milkshake. Sweet Peas is awesome. Then I drank my MT Dew. 

Mint Lady and Backup were great to talk to, and Backup had some good info and advice about upcoming sections.  What was really awesome was knowing that they were there. I'm quite a ways from my traditional haunts, and while I'm fairly comfortable being on my own, it's a good feeling knowing that someone has your back if it really comes down to it. 

When they left, they left me with some trail snacks and some mint leaves, for my water. I'd never tried it before, but it's pretty nice. Just a hint of mint, really. Not overpowering, but a good break from plain water. 

It was nearly lunch time, and the trail ran by Angelica's, so I figured another sandwich was in order. Where I ran into Boomer and Smudge. They were with Boomer's family. His dad had thru-hiked back in the '80s (you know, when it was hard), and looked exactly like Boomer. After eating lunch, finally took off. 

Started walking with Alchemist and Monty Lou, and hiked with them for a ways. They were good company, but I wanted to go a little faster so I eventually pushed on. And made it to Cheshire. 

Cheshire has a church that allows hikers to stay there. And it has a little milkshake shop, where I had my 3rd milkshake of the day. I'm stocking up. The trail is moving back into remote wilderness again soon, so I figure live the good life while I can. 

I rolled up to the church, and figured that with my ridiculously late start from Dalton, plus not zeroing, maybe a half day wouldn't hurt me. It puts me another day or so behind some people who I would like to catch, but oh well. Turned out all right, anyway, since Geared Up was staying there. Good to see him again. 

There was also a German man there, named Hard Times. Pretty friendly guy. After a while he said something about geography, and said that they had a saying in Germany, that in order to learn geography Americans went to war. I said "Well, we definitely learned where Germany was."  

Tom and the sundae he made me. I didn't take many photos the past few days. 

2 comments:

  1. You arrogant??? Wonder why Mammaw Sparkle said that there was no conceit in your family because you got it all???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mint lady here. Three milkshakes in one day? Wow!!! I had an extra thick frappe today and that was filling. Did you know that the difference between a frappe and milkshakes is, milkshakes are made with milk and flavor. Frappes are made with ice cream. (Found that out today cause Backup was asking about it) Glad you liked the mint. Hope the grouse didn't want the mint too.

    Backup here - The rest of the trail will be some gorgeous views all the way to the end. Enjoy every step and we hope the feet and legs treat you good the rest of the way. Ping me if something is needed ricky tick.

    ReplyDelete