Monday, February 17, 2014

Clothes make the man.

So this post should be shorter, since I wasn't that invested into the decision making process required behind each of these items.  Let's start with the awkward ones.  Ex Officio boxer briefs.  That's right ladies, silky smooth.  My base layer (long underwear for you non-hikers) is some random army issued synthetics that worked in the Korengal, so I figure they'll work here.  Ex Officio pants.  They accentuate my legs.  A couple of synthetic t-shirts and a pair of running shorts.  Smartwool socks and neck gaiter, random military microfleece hat, and a microfleece top for those cold nights.  That's more or less it, minus the two somewhat more technical items.

The jacket.  Eddie Bauer Downlight jacket.  I know, right?  I was a skeptic also, but turns out Eddie Bauer is really getting into technical gear again, and this jacket is pretty great, at a considerably lower price point than many others.  Add a lifetime guarantee, and I'm sold.

The boots.  So, I lied earlier.  Shoes are actually probably more important than the pack.  Merrell Proterra Mid GTX.  I wouldn't have gone with the Gore-tex version, but I'm expecting a whole lot of trudging through snow (also got some gaiters for that reason).  I'm planning on wearing these until it warms up enough that I can switch to my Chacos, and then finishing the journey with the blissful freedom of open toes.

7 comments:

  1. It may seem odd to mention this under 'clothing', but get Hydropel, BodyGlide, or something for chaffing. It can make you miserable beyond words if you are prone to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's also good for preventing blisters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You failed to mention what color boxers you have on. Pervs wanna know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One pair Fire Engine red, the other pair Pine Tree Green. They both bring out the color in my eyes.

      Delete
  4. "first ascent" by eddie bauer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed. Take something for chaffing!

    -Nick

    ReplyDelete