Monday, April 7, 2014

Long day, crazy night.

Mildly crazy, anyway. So my sister (I'm not feeling clever so let's call her Sister Sparkle) came down with her clan and Momma Sparkle to meet me at Carvers Gap. They brought me to a hotel to watch the game, which was awesome. Unfortunately, the hotel was over an hour away, so I didn't get back on the trail until 11:30 today. No big deal, but I'm trying to be in Hampton by tomorrow night so I can watch the next game. Which is 42 miles. So I did 24 today. My biggest day so far. Put me at 400.9 miles. 

Roan Highlands were amazing, but incredibly windy. Met a couple of people from Wisconsin, they talked a little smack but they didn't even watch the game. You forfeit any right to call yourself a college basketball team fan if you don't watch your team in the Final Four. Without a valid excuse. Just the rules. 

Came into Mountaineer shelter well after dark, and someone has a dog in the shelter, which flipped out on me and woke everyone up. Good sized dog. Thought I was going to be mauled, and I thought I was going to have to spear this dog. Luckily I had my coyote fighting strategy planned out, and I made some quick adjustments for a boxer. He was called off in time, no physical violence ensued. Dudes were definitely not thru-hikers and put off a seriously creepy vibe. I slept in the attic of the shelter, and even brought my hiking poles up with me. There were 3 other people besides me in the 14 person shelter. Two creepy dudes and Ramble. (*next day I get a text from the Machine, those guys creeped her out so much that she moved on to another shelter). Way too tired to write more. Saw a ton of deer and walked by a cemetery in the dark, and it had wind chimes. Kind of spooky. 

Also left NC for the last time on the trail. 

Incredibly windy selfie. 

Awesome place. 

Best shelter so far. Converted barn. Didn't stay in it. 


4 comments:

  1. Glad you got to watch the game Saturday night it was great. Hoping u got to watch championship game as well. Take care and enjoy your time on the AT. I'm envious glad you are getting to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Dad works with my daughter & I have been reading your blog from the start. This is so awesome, it's like reading a really good book that you don't want to put down. Always checking in for the next chapter. Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello cuz been reading about your journey and wanted to tell you that I'm excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bud
    We met you and your friend on top of Wild Cat and you spoke with us for a few minutes. You mentioned that you slept in Kent as we live in RI.
    Sounds like you are making great progress on your quest.
    RJ Coventry, RI.

    ReplyDelete