Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Mud and slush.

What happens when you have a full day of torrential downpour, followed by freezing temperatures and several inches of snow, and then a beautiful warm sunny day? Lots of mud and slush. Lots and lots of it. 

Today was a little depressing. The terrain was great. I figured even with the snowdrifts, I could do 20 miles today, easy. Which was the plan, because then I could have done a short nero today tomorrow into Erwin and rest up a day. I need it. I'm just shuffling up mountains now. Poor legs are going on strike. 

Anyway, didn't happen. Took me almost eleven hours to go 15.8 miles. I also doubled the amount of falls I took, three today. I can't tell you how many times I pirouetted or pulled some crazy twist to stay upright. I walked by myself all day, but wish someone had been there to see it. Few times could have been bad, but The Lord was looking out for me. That trail was just a ridiculous mash up of slush and mud, for almost the entire way. I couldn't even stand without my Leki sticks. 

Not a lot of events today, mostly just trying to stand up. Journeyman (the other guy in the shelter last night) left his cell phone in the shelter, so I hurried to catch up with him (he was going to catch a ride into town at the next road crossing). Caught him at the road. Soon after that was when the trail went to crap. 

Did get some good views on Big Bald mountain. Reminds me of my uncle (ha!). Met a random couple from Asheville up there. They were just weekenders. Even though it's not the weekend. While I was taking a break up there Rockfish caught up, but he was looking for a place to camp and I still had 6-7 miles to go. Really wish I'd taken off with Sunbear, One Day, or Funsize this morning. Would have made the day so much more bearable. Oh well. Only a little under 11 miles to Erwin tomorrow. Planing on a zero day there the next day. 

Me on the Big Bald. Photo by random Ashevillian. 

Random Ashevillians. 

View from High Rocks. Not High Rock. 




3 comments:

  1. Beard is looking good. love, Aunt Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blogging my friend! I am not nearly as thorough, but it is nice to e the stories that literally parallel mine. You know you will love looking back through these, One Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like it is supposed to be a little warmer this week. Maybe the slush will dry up? Keep up the awesome work! :D

    ReplyDelete