Monday, April 14, 2014

Back on the trail and surrounded by women.

 Well, currently I'm in my tent, but there's 10 or so ladies and their two male guides in the shelter. I am the sole thru-hiker here at Saunders shelter. I'm telling you, single guys, the AT is the place to meet ladies. 

Talked with the male guides, figure that's safer for me, knowing how violent Mrs. Sparkle gets. They're a Christian group out of West Virginia. The senior guide has some of the coolest gear I've seen, Terra Nova stuff. I'd seen a little of their stuff but had to dismiss it as an option since it's so expensive ($40 for a cup holder! I made one out of Velcro straps for like $6). Some sort of women's retreat, they're hiking to Grayson. 

Went home for the weekend to see the family. It was great seeing everyone, but it sure makes it rough getting started back. Papaw Sparkle and Momma Sparkle gave me a ride back to Damascus this morning. Papaw Sparkle hiked the entire (width of) the Appalachian Trail. We ate lunch and walked around town, the AT, and VA Creeper Trail. Had a really good time, but they had to head back eventually. While I waited for my phone to charge, I drank a cup of coffee and talked with a family who walked into the coffee shop. The husband worked for the State Dept and the wife was a lawyer. The kids were in 2nd and 4th grade so I didn't ask about their careers. Talked with them for a while as I am interested in both of those fields, and also how it works being married to another professional while in the State Dept. They apparently loved it, and had great experiences with it. Good to know it's possible. 

When the coffee shop closed I figured I'd better get moving or I'd be stuck in Damascus, another challenging town to leave. Happily for me, since when I checked the register here everyone I know is only a day or two ahead. Even Flex, Coconut, and Spice Kit are only 3 days ahead. Hoping to catch up with them over the next week or so. Setting my alarm to see the eclipse tonight. 

Heh heh. They're having a discussion over by the fire. The lead guide said "hiking alone is dumb."  He's trying to make some point about partnership, I guess. I don't think it was aimed at me, but I have to chuckle. He's probably right, but I've had some pretty awesome experiences so far. 

Papaw Sparkle after his triumphant march across the Appalachian Trail. 

Pretty!

Not so pretty!


2 comments:

  1. I have so enjoyed reading your blog. Keep on Keeping on. Saw ya Ma at church sunday. I went to First Baptist to watch the children's choir do an Easter Play. Hope you find a egg on the trail sunday. Keep ya eyes open. Be safe and enjoy. Prayers. Ya Cuz. Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your Grandpa Brown was able to walk across the trail. That's more than I could do!! Enjoy traveling....Love, Aunt Marty

    ReplyDelete