Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Seven Years Lucky

The Appalachian Trail is one of the longest, most rewarding, and most challenging individual endeavors that I have ever undertaken. Seven years ago, however, I began an even more rewarding, and yes, challenging endeavor. And I'm expecting it to be the longest lasting thing that I ever do. Happy  Anniversary Mrs. Sparkle. I love you more than anything in this world. 

Another reason to celebrate, today is Dinosaur's birthday. Happy Birthday, Dino! I'm hoping to get her an ice cream cake. I don't know if they have those in Germany. 

Been a long day. About 21 miles. I'm trying to remember this morning. Oh yeah. Started before I woke up. Last night sort of late, an older section hiker named Fringe came into Laurel shelter, so I moved my spot over for him and he ended up where I was. No big deal, but this happened after Princess went to bed. Her, Ranger, and Rocketman tented last night, and are early risers. When they were leaving, she decided to mess with me by kissing me on the forehead, but she thought Fringe was me. Apparently it was pretty funny, but I was asleep. 

Lot of rain today. Heavy, cold rain. But before it hit came across the Keffer Oak, one of the oldest oak trees on the AT. There is one bigger somewhere up north. Big tree. 

Lot of people took cover from the rain in the second shelter (think it was Niday) we came across. Beandip and her mother stayed there today. Dino drew one of her drawings with a poll for whether they should change their names from Beandip and Mama Bean to Soul Destroyer and Spirit Crusher. I voted yes. 

We played another game of Diamonds while waiting for the rain to stop. Senator, H2O, Dino, me, and Listen. Senator won again. He just got out of the Navy, where he was a diver. When the rain stopped, he and H2O took off, as did Listen and Squirrel. I think Boomer and Smudge took off before it finished. After a few minutes, Dinosaur, Violet, and myself took off. Long uphills today. And did I mention rain?

In a dry spell, I stopped on a ridge line where I had signal while the others went on. I was freezing, but I managed to get a call through to my wife. It was good to talk to her, even though my teeth were chattering (slight exaggeration there). 

This was on Brushy Mountain. There's a wide grassy path up part of the mountain, that leads to the Audie Murphy monument. Boomer and Smudge were camped right in the middle of the path, which sounds odd but was actually a great spot. I considered doing so myself. Didn't though, and as I talked to them a deluge arrived. I got my poncho on before it hit hard, so that was nice. I rarely bother, but it was chilly, and I didn't think I'd dry off before getting to the shelter. Unfortunately it was raining hard when I reached the monument. I didn't realize the AT ran past it, or I might have brought something, like a 173rd patch to leave there. Lot of mementos there. 

Had a little trail magic. Cooler of drinks. I had a Dr. Pepper. Still carrying the can until I get to a trash can, should be tomorrow. Then had one more hill to go to get to the shelter. It got dark, but for whatever reason I decided to try to get to the shelter without my headlamp. Maybe not very bright, but I succeeded. Tomorrow will be a short day as I have to resupply. 

Me, somewhere in VA. 

This is Chef. 

The very large Keffer Oak. Hard to understand its size here. 

Me in the first deluge. 

Audie Murphy monument in the rain. 


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the photo of the Audie Murphy monument! He was my hero when I was in middle school! Bet you didn't know that, huh? Love and Prayers, Momma Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary Midnight and Mrs. Sparkle! Love and Prayers, Momma Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, I think it is 7 years blessed! Love, Momma Sparkle

    ReplyDelete