Sunday, April 20, 2014

End of the first quarter.

Sort of a late start to the day. Got out of camp a little before 9. The loud group from last night (yellow blazers) were all still there.  One guy had a throwing knife he was practicing against the shelter walls with. Hippie with a throwing knife. Odd. They were going into Marion for the day. I hope they spent the night there. 

Easy walking most of the day. The morning was just a smooth footpath through the forests. No spectacular views or strenuous hiking. 

Stopped for lunch at the Chatfield shelter, and realized there that "The Barn" I'd been hearing about was in Atkins, a few miles up. The famous/infamous "Hiker Burger" is there, a full pound of meat. A lot of people were planning on staying at a hotel there, but it was only 12 miles so I'd planned on pushing on. 

Between me and the Hiker Burger was some really pretty country. Big rolling pastures, spreads of wild flowers, and stately homes. Saw a sign that said there was a hiker box at the school, and was very confused. Didn't realize the AT went by a school. Turns out it was an old one room schoolhouse. From late 1700s, if I recall correctly. It wasn't actually a hiker box, either, as it was actually Trail Magic! Some jerk had left an empty Mt. Dew can, though. The school was pretty interesting, and I spent some time there, taking pictures and such. A lot of things in there were items my Papaw had told me about. 

I drank a Mt. Dew while looking around, signed the registers, and left, taking the other empty can with me also, as there was a trash can right outside. As I'm walking out, I meet a thru-hiker, Low Gear. First time meeting him, and I'm holding two empty cans from a trail magic box. "I only took one! Promise!" He obviously didn't care either way, but was friendly. 

The AT ran right past the school's front door, but there was a sign for a "Settler's Museum" a few hundred feet away. I started down the trail, but then turned around and went to the museum. I wasn't in a rush. 

The museum was pretty small, but there was an older lady there who gave me and another gentleman a tour. I found it fascinating, and really wished Papaw Sparkle was there. I want to bring him by there, see if he can identify some of their relics. At least two items they have they don't actually know what they are. I took a guess on one and said it was a cobbler's bench. I said, "That's my best guess."  The lady looks at me and says, "That's a terrible guess. No." I like her. 

I caught up with Shy Bear before reaching Atkins. We walked together a while and then beat a train together. And there was The Barn. Our Hiker Burgers awaited. First I stopped at a gas station to get a chocolate milk, glass bottle coke, and a root beer. I saved the root beer for later. 

While I was doing that Shy Bear talked to two yellow blazers. Seriously, before yesterday I hadn't met one, now everyone I see is doing it. I may not have explained yellow blazing, I can't remember. It's when you hitchhike farther up the trail, instead of hiking it. Yellow blazes for the roadway. Another way of saying it is "cheating." I don't mind someone doing it, except that most of them are going to claim that they thru-hiked the AT. That bothers me, though it probably shouldn't. It's like stolen valor. 

Anyway, Low Gear was in The Barn. He ate the Hiker Burger. Both Shy Bear and I went with the Hillbilly Burger. It was pretty good, I guess. I was expecting something spectacular. I had cell signal so I stayed after they both left and talked to my wife. 

I'd planned on camping at a site about 3 miles out of town, and got there about half an hour before dark. Unfortunately for me, the campsite had been demolished. Just a picnic table, a privy, and what looked like the foundation to a platform for tents. Unusable. The next campsite was another 3 miles, or so. Night hiking again. 

Was pretty pleasant. Until I stopped to check my guidebook. I heard some heavy movement, so I shined my headlamp into the woods, and there was a pair of eyes staring at me. Pretty high off the ground. I think it was a bear, from size and behaviour. I got my camera out, but it was too dark. I took some photos anyway, hoping the flash would illuminate the bear. I then took one (one!) step forward, and immediately a bad word went through my head.  A second set of eyes looked up at me. If this was a cub and mother I might have been in some trouble. They stared at me, I stared at them, and finally I started walking on down the trail, with an exceptionally wary eye on my backtrail. 

Honestly, I'm not sure they were bears. Just shining green forward facing eyes that were high off the ground. Can't think of anything else. I made it to the next campsite, and right now I'm falling asleep while writing this. Only about 18 miles today, but it was fun. Also, today I passed the one fourth mark. Just three quarters to go. 

Lindamood one room schoolhouse. 

Papaw Sparkle was telling me about these toys just the other day. 

List of punishments at the old school. Pretty entertaining. 

Me right outside of Atkins. 




1 comment:

  1. MIDNIGHT SPARKLE!

    I night hiked to that same campsite in '12 after realizing Davis Path was a bust. Been following your progress. Keep on truckin' brother.

    -- Pretzel and Carnie Hands (she's looking over my shoulder)

    ReplyDelete