Sunday, May 11, 2014

Another miserably hot day with unexpected goodness.

The Three Ridges Mountain is one of my least favorite sections of trail so far. Heck, maybe ever. Steep, covered in loose rock, no shade and few views. Plus it's six miles up with 3000+ elevation change. Just thoroughly unpleasant. Of course, there's a side trail that not only avoids the climb, but also cuts 4 miles off the distance. I didn't take it, since I'm white-blazing, but man was I jealous. Most people I know did take it. Me, Survivorman, and The Machine are the only people I know didn't take it, though I'm sure there are others. 

The only good thing about that climb (besides its end) was the Hanging Rock Overlook. One of the best views yet. There are easier ways to get there, though. Ran into a group of retirees there. A very nice group, mostly from the nearby Wintergreen. A lot of interesting information about the area from them. One gentleman was a former paratrooper, with the 101st, back before they had their wings clipped. I'm going to call him Screaming Eagle. I walked with him for a good ways, couple of miles at least. He kept telling me I could go on if he was slowing me down. I told him it was fine, 'cuz I enjoyed the company. Honestly I was telling myself, "Don't breathe hard, don't breathe hard."  This guy was a septuagenarian, and I didn't want to get shown up. Admittedly, he wasn't carrying a pack, but still over twice my age. That Eagle could hike. When we parted ways he also gave me some ice water. I really don't care much for cold water, but on these hot days it's been extremely refreshing. 

Couple miles farther up ran into some more trail magic. A woman named Cake who'd started hiking this year but got hurt, plus some trail maintainers were at Reeds Gap. Awesome deliciousness. They were also taking photographs of thru-hikers and emailing them to our moms for Mother's Day. I hung out with them for almost an hour, talking and giving my left foot a rest. It's been hurting a while. 

After that was Humpback Mountain, and I wasn't expecting too much difficulty. Pretty easy ascent, and plenty of water. The Trail runs by this old stone wall, and as I'm walking along it I notice a large black dog. Of course, then I realized it was a black bear. Pretty awesome. It had just been raining, and I think he was searching through some old rotten logs. Watched him for a while but then moved on. Right around the corner saw another one! I mean, I suppose it could have been the first one after it moved, but sounds better to say two and I can't differentiate black bears, anyway. 

My foot was killing me, and got those first shooting pains in my shins, so found a place to camp. Ended up beside some Canadians on Humpback. Never saw 'em. They were in their tent and didn't get our before I left. Nice enough to talk to, though. Tomorrow is 12 miles into Waynesboro. Eighteen plus today, hope my feet feel better. 

Moxie getting water at the shelter. 

Hanging Rock Overlook. 

Purdy. 

Ditto. 

Bear. 






1 comment:

  1. Hope your feet feel better. I'm still enjoying reading about your journey. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete