Thursday, May 8, 2014

800 miles.

Tonight I am sleeping at a shelter at the 800 mile mark. I remember when each 100 miles was a big deal. Today I barely noticed. It is a bloody long way, though, if you think about it. 

I'm going to wake up as the only person in the shelter again in the morning, also. This time, however, there are three other people staying with me tonight. They are all planning on getting up at midnight and walking in the dark to best the heat. Two southbound section hikers and Happy Eyes (formerly Legs). Really that's not too terrible an idea, but the last time I did some night hiking it messed me up for days. 

So last night I wasn't completely alone. I shared the shelter with a whippoorwill, who was quite irate with me for staying there. He definitely let me have it, didn't realize how loud those guys really are, and he had some help from the acoustics in the shelter. He woke me up in the morning, also. 

Got out of camp around 8, I guess. Three miles uphill to start off. Spent the morning pretty much alone, but got some signal up on the mountain, so uploaded a few posts and checked some emails. Got a text from the wife, saying she'd see me in a few days. This was news to me, but very pleasant news. Very much looking forward to it. Also got a hold of my dad, and they're sending my good sleeping pad back to me. Can not wait. 

Happy Eyes (actually I've been calling her Mad Libs) caught up with me. But her dog did first. Naila came running up to me on the trail, and she was by herself. I was trying to decide whether I should hold on to her or if this was some Lassie thing where I was supposed to follow her to an injured Mad Libs. Turns out neither, Mad Libs was just a little behind. 

Walked with her a while today. We'd met several times and spoken, but this was the first time we'd really spent any time together. She's pretty interesting, did some therapy stuff for kids for a couple of years after college before deciding to do the AT. But she's a very quick walker. 

While we were talking to some day-hikers on the top of a mountain Ranger caught up. I started walking with him, while Naila and Mad Libs pushed ahead. He's a great hiking companion also, pointing out different trees and flowers. Went through an old growth virgin forest section today, and my experience was very enriched by his teaching. I really like the Geezers. They're a blast to walk with as well as hang out with. I told Ranger today, "I'd say I hope I'm in as good as shape as you guys when I'm you're age, but I wish I was in as good a shape as you are now." He laughed. 

Princess and Rocketman caught up with us at the Punchbowl shelter. I think it's called that because it's next to a pond. That's also where I met Sherpa and Carry Stove, two section hikers. They're pretty cool, and had a lovely dog of some sort that I can't remember what breed they told me. Both doctors. Unfortunately their dog and Naila did not become friends, so Mad Libs hung out inside the shelter while they were outside at the picnic area. I ate lunch with her, and then came outside to hang out with the Geezers and doctors. Turns out they were neighbors, living within half a mile of each other. Crazy, hug?

Walked with Ranger for several more miles until they reached the place they were going to camp. They were catching a ride into town tomorrow to stay in a B&B. Someday I will be retired and staying at B&Bs all the time. They're planning on taking a little time, and I'm planning on pushing hard next two days. I expect I'll see them again, though. Sure hope so. Saw a couple of snakes with Ranger and a deer with Princess. 

The last few miles of walking today were great. The trail was along either a reservoir or a creek the entire time. Smooth trail, lovely little waterfalls. Ran into Sherpa and Carry Stove again, they were in a picture perfect spot. I was a bit jealous, but I wanted to push farther. Finally came up to the shelter and splashed around a bit in the creek to clean some of the grime off. Eighteen miles today. Tomorrow is going to be a long one. 

Another pretty view. 

Black snake. 

Some bird on Mad Lib's pack. I was calling it a Black Jay. It ate a moth. 

Sherpa and Carry Stove 

Me on a bridge. 





2 comments:

  1. Got a new FB friend - her son is walking the AT. His trail name is MANALIVE. He's behind you somewhere. I gave her your trail name so she could tell him. Kinda cool. Enjoy the walk. Love, Aunt Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do I do with your shirt and camera cord? Love and Prayers, Momma Sparkle

    ReplyDelete