Thursday, May 29, 2014

Goodbye Shenandoahs.

Hello new shoes. Finished up the Shenandoahs in style, saw two more bears. Seven bears total so far. Still no wildcats. Walked some with the Mainiac crowd, and some by myself. We all ended up at the Front Royal Hostel, Terrapin Station. Princess, Rocketman, Ranger, Lady Moose, Treefrog, Squirrel, Wrongleg, Halfmoon, Mama Bear, Rambo, Geared Up, Stretch, Gandalf (the elder one), and probably a few others I'm missing were all there. The next morning, got a ride into town from the hostel owner, where I got my new shoes and Chacos, plus a goodie box from my mom. As usual, way too much stuff, but the other hikers are appreciative. The new shoes feel weird, and I hope I get used to them quickly. Very sad that Merrell quit making the model I walked the previous 970 miles in. Sigh. 

Due to the late start (and inherent laziness) I only hiked about ten miles. Stayed in the Jim and Molly Denton Shelter, described as "excellent" in the guide book. There was a shower, a porch, ergonomic chairs, etc. Very nice. Met Prom Queen there. I'd been hearing people talk about her, and she was quite cool. Thin Mint was also there. Talked with the two of them for a while, and then Shybear showed up, also a welcome addition. The next two people to show up were Ice Party and Wees. I don't dislike them, but when three or more of this particular group of girls comes together on the trail, you get what we refer to as the "Brownie Troop Effect." Basically lots of giggling and high pitched laughter. I don't really know why it annoys me so much, but I figure it doesn't bode well for me if I ever have a daughter. I hope I can sleep. 

More deer. 

More bears. 

More beautiful views.  

More pictures of me. 

No more Shenandoahs. Sigh. 






1 comment:

  1. How was visit with Aunt Janice and Uncle Ron?

    ReplyDelete