Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Appalachian River

So the rain last night was ridiculous. The path was literally a stream of water for much of its length today. The trail was great for me, though. So soft. Like walking on marshmallows. The Shenandoahs are so well maintained, there wasn't a ton of mud. Good drainage. 

Shoes are waiting for me in Front Royal (or will be).  Can't wait for it. Going to save my hike. I believe. Hopefully the Trail will be this soft until then. 

Stopped at the Skyline Lodge around dinner time. Probably shouldn't have. Definitely shouldn't have. I was on track to get to my shelter before dark.  Little voice telling me don't do it.  But I wanted a Coke. Of course the Shenandoah only stocks Pepsi products. 

So I went down, and the place was pretty cool. Really cool, actually. Very picturesque. And they made me a cafe mocha. A pre-made turkey and provolone sandwich caught my eye. Ran into the Mountain Men there. They don't have individual trail names, because they move so fast no one really gets to know them.  I had talked with them at an overlook earlier in the day. I only caught them because they had taken their dog, Riley, to the vet. We ate together, and were like minor celebrities. Everyone wanted to talk to the thru-hikers. My ten minute detour turned into a two hour break. 

So it got dark. And then started hailing. And I sprained my ankle (not bad). And didn't get to the shelter until almost 11 so I had to set my tent up. And decided I was going to listen to that little voice in the future. Decent mileage today, around 24. Beautiful day, also. 

The Appalachian Trail stream. 

Gorgeous view A.

Gorgeous view B. 

Me at a gorgeous view. 

Gorgeous view C. 

Tree on a rock. I like these, I think they're cool. 

Mountain Men and Riley at the Skyline Lodge. 

Gorgeous view D. 

Gorgeous view E. 








3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pics. I've always thought you should go with the little voice - as long as it's your voice and not the guy next to you. LOL. Thanks for sharing the pics.
    Love, Aunt Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos!! Praying that your ankle is okay! Love and Prayers, Momma Sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I expect the Gorgeous View "X" nomenclature to continue throughout the rest of the blog. It'll make the captions for the book easier in the future...

    ReplyDelete