Wednesday, May 7, 2014

All alone. Woe is me.

I mean, not really. I do have the shelter completely to myself. Not a soul around. A little annoying since I was supposed to meet Dino and Sisyfus here.

Started pretty late this morning. Last night was the second night using this foam sleeping pad instead of my Big Agnes inflatable one, and this just ain't gonna cut it. Unfortunately I sent that one home already, so I'm stuck with this one until I can get the good one mailed back to me. Poor choices. 

Anyway, slept terrible, plus I think I was still trying to get my schedule back after that silly night hike. Got up sort of late, Dino and Sisyfus were motivated I guess, and left fairly early. I didn't leave until 0930. 

Just sort of meandered today. Was really in no hurry. Walked and talked with Cheeseburger and Baggy for quite a bit. They do something with environmental science (something with bats) and know all kinds of plants, animals, and birds. Learned quite a bit. I probably already forgot most of it, but I hope some of it sticks. 

Ran into The Geezers again. They gave me honorary membership. Not sure if I can get ten percent off anything with that or not. They were at the shelter before the one I was going to meet Dino and Sis at, and I had plenty of time, so I hung out for a while. Probably nearly two hours. I enjoyed it, and Ranger pointed out some trees to me, including a cucumber tree. Apparently that's what it's called. 

Cheeseburger, Baggy, and Santa were heading into Glasgow, but I was skipping it since I didn't need a resupply. I was tempted, though, since the town had a pavilion built where hikers could stay and even shower for free. But I was going to meet Dino and Sis at the shelter right after town, so decided against it. 

Which is why I'm here alone. Got plenty of space. There was a note for me in the register telling me they were pushing farther, but since I got here so late I'm just going to bed. Dino left a note wondering if I would make it where they are. I hope she didn't make a bet again. I wrote under it "Unlikely."  

Crossed the James river today, on the Foot Bridge, apparently the longest pedestrian bridge on the AT. Foot is actually the name of the guy the bridge is dedicated to. Maybe I'll get up early tomorrow and put in some miles. 

Cheeseburger and Baggy. 

Selfie. 

Foot Bridge. 

The James River. 

So far to go. 



3 comments:

  1. Those are some great pictures Mike! Stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely a social experience. There are a lot of people walking the trail. LOL.
    Have fun. Be safe. love, Aunt Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! But you are never alone! Jesus is right there with you! Love and Prayers for His protection and wisdom! Momma Sparkle

    ReplyDelete