Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pearisburg, VA.

Interesting juxtaposition of communal living and commercialization today. Woods Hole was a pretty idyllic place, actually. They market themselves as a communal experience. I think if the night had been colder then there would have been less good humour, as the converted barn they used as a hostel was a bit drafty. However, the beds were quite comfortable, and I slept excellent. 

Got up early this morning, and just sort of hung out with The Machine, Princess, Survivorman, and other early risers. They made us coffee, of which I drank a considerable amount. I relaxed and got in everyone's way in the kitchen while Neville (proprietor) and her conscripted help (Princess) finished breakfast. I played with their cat, Mei-Mei. 

Breakfast was fancy and delicious. Some sort of French toast with homemade bread and homegrown eggs and sausage. Very good. A very fun and wonderful group of people there. After breakfast there was morning yoga, which I was going to turn down until I thought about the oddity of doing yoga on the AT. So I did it. It was fun. I mostly harassed Mama Bean (Spirit Crusher). The Woods Hole experience was overall quite enjoyable, though I did think their new for this year rates were somewhat high. Not exorbitant though. Didn't leave until almost noon, what with the company and doing laundry. Goat didn't leave, as he took a seasonal "internship" with them. I think he'll enjoy it. 

Walked an easy, beautiful 10 miles into Pearisburg. Violet walked with Survivorman and me. One of the best parts of the day was when we ran into Beandip and Dinosaur. We sat down in the middle of the trail and had lunch and talked for probably an hour. Very fun people. 

Violet ran into a pretty major issue. Like me, she had a 2013 guidebook. She'd been sent a box of resupply to the Rendezvous Hotel. The Rendezvous had burned down last year. We aren't sure where her box is but we are going to check the post office tomorrow morning. Had difficulty finding a place to stay. Some giant construction job has most rooms in town filled up, but one hotel built an addition to use as a hostel. As hostels go, it's pretty nice. 

Ate dinner at a Mexican place with Santa, Survivorman, and Violet. Pretty good food. Lot of hikers in town, though kind of scattered around. I have to finish shopping in the morning. Pretty tired, and I need to get some random items tomorrow, such as new insoles (hopefully) and batteries. 

The bunkhouse this morning. Rather lovely. 

Mei-Mei the cat. 

Santa and Violet

The outhouse. Quaint. 

Selfie. 

Violet at one of the best overlooks. 

The last view of Goat. Appropriately, his new digs will be in the old goat house. 





No comments:

Post a Comment