Tuesday, April 22, 2014

18 more miles

Took me near all day to do it, also. A few more people showed up last night. First Listen and Squirrel, two girls hiking together, came in, and Santa arrived a little later. I hadn't met Squirrel and Listen before, though I did see them in passing. All three of them were fun to talk with. 

I was the first one out of camp this morning, but still didn't leave until around 9. It was pretty walking this morning, but it was along an open ridge line and there was no protection at all from that sun. Sure was hot today. 

Met the president of the Piedmont Appalachian Trail Hikers (PATH), who maintains this section of trail. I'd met two other members the other day trimming rhododendron branches. Told him I'd send an email when I finish, sure hope I remember. 

Had a late lunch at Chestnut Knob Shelter. Nicest shelter yet. Completely enclosed, with bunk beds and an indoor table. Plus, the view there was spectacular. Ran into the Lorax (formerly Tog) and Violet there. Violet passed me on the trail earlier, while I was refilling water. Everything she wore, including glasses and backpack, was purple. Thus her name, I suppose. 

The second half of the day took forever and I really don't know why. I mean, I wasn't in much of a rush and took my time. I also called Mrs. Sparkle and sent a few texts when I had signal, and a few other things like that. Eh, oh well. 

Saw a blacksnake. Big one, too. Four and a half to five feet, I'd say. Got some pictures but not very good ones, I'm afraid. Not the biggest one I've seen, but was the biggest I've seen in a while. Also saw more vultures, from eye level with their tree. These ignored me. 

Water is becoming a lot more scarce. I mean, it's still around, just longer distances. Before VA hardly ever went 5 miles without water. Tomorrow is a stretch of 9 miles. I was running pretty low this evening, when I came across a dayhiker couple. The lady gave me a bottle of water. Pretty nice of her, I thought. They told me about Burkes Garden, which is I guess where I was walking through. They recommended I look it up, so I will when I have a decent internet connection. Thumbprint of a God, I think they called it. 

Hiked in the dark for an hour or so before making it to Jenkins Shelter. Got here, and not only was the shelter full, but there's probably a dozen or more tents set up. Luckily it's a pretty good spot with lots of space. I guess so many people are here due to the lack of water, and the source here is supposed to be pretty good. Hoping to cover some miles tomorrow. 

Santa waking up this morning. 

Me up on the mountain. Knob, actually. 

Ultra Zero and Rainbow Bright, the trail angels who saved me from dehydration. 



No comments:

Post a Comment