Saturday, April 5, 2014

Day hikers. Thru-hikers bane.

Pretty boring day, really. Little over fourteen miles.  Little rain. Passed a hostel, but decided not to stop by. Had a great reputation and kind of wanted to see what it was like, but I hadn't decided how far I was going to go, so passed it up. 

Oh, lost my water bottle. My liter one.  Sometime walking in last night. No idea where I lost it at. Frustrating. All I have left is my half liter bottle now. Figure if those survivor guys on TV can survive with just that then I can too. Lot of refilling. 

Day hikers. Me, Machine, and Stick had the shelter to ourselves. Nice. Then two day hikers came in, we'll call 'em Kettle and Tie-dye. They were pretty cool. Awesome in fact. Gave us Snickers. Fun to talk to. But there were additional people in their group to show up.  Insanely annoying people. 

This one guy (I'm going to call him Super Awesome Man, or SAM for short) has a buddy in CAG who was in Afghanistan right now, who had walked (he literally said these words to me) 100 miles in one day while carrying 140 pounds. Broke both his shins. Yep. This guy is apparently a GT3 race car driver. I don't know what exactly that is, but I'm sure it's quite impressive.  He's also an Advaced EMT. Who said, "If you need any narcs I got them." The three hikers are all in bed, but these guys are pretty loud out by the fire they built. I'm listening to him give incorrect medical advice right now, but nothing that will kill anyone so who cares. An owl just hooted, and it freaked out a couple of them.  Oh, which reminds me, heard some turkeys this morning. This guy also referred to himself as the oldest 23 year old you'll ever meet. On the plus side, when he told about how his parents abandoned him, one of the older guys says "Wish my parents had abandoned me. Then maybe I'd have made something of my self. But nooo, they had to stay. Now look at me." One of my favorite lines of the trip. 

These guys are killing me. It's like they're on this incredibly complicated journey. "How are your flexors, bro? Mine are hurting, too." "Don't sleep that way, sleep this way!" "I would take the rain coat off."  Hope I can sleep. They're not even pretending to be quiet. 

Selfie

Can you see the wood pecker?  I was pretty much on top of this guy, and it was raining. 

Too many non-thru-hikers in a shelter. 



2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your blog read them all last night. I've always wanted to do what you are doing. I'm impressed with all that you have done with your life so far and I'm sure you have lots more to contribute to society. Enjoy your time out there. Hope u get to watch the Cats tonight. Go CATS.

    ReplyDelete