Sunday, February 16, 2014

Life Transistions

Three weeks ago I was a Special Operations Combat Medic in the United States Army.  Now I'm an Honorably Discharged unemployed veteran, a statistic.  A bit of a twist, however, as I am more or less intentionally unemployed, because in two weeks I will be undertaking a rather extraordinary journey.  Or rather, it used to be extraordinary.  Now, if not common, it's at least not unheard of to come across someone who has thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail.  Or at least claims to have.  It's like combat.  Everyone you know who was in the military has some sort of story about the craziness they saw, and the scars, usually mental, that these experiences have left behind.  I have these stories, too.  Mine are true.  I'm not sure about the scars.  I never felt like I was hurting before, but these last couple of months while I've been on terminal leave have made me aware of.... differences.  Nine years in the Army and three combat tours to Afghanistan later, I don't really understand the civilian world.  Civilians react differently.  Different worries, different complaints, different reactions.  I've been able to fake it so far, but I'm quite cognizant of the disparities in my world view.  I'm expecting this to help me adjust to life without the structure of the military.  

I am also using this trip into the wilderness to come closer to God. From the beginning, the Bible is filled with examples of people entering the wilderness for extended times to walk with God, including Adam, Moses, David, John the Baptist, Paul, and even Jesus.  So there's that.  I don't really have any idea of how it's supposed to work other than reading the Bible and prayer, but I'm hoping for a burning bush.  

Lastly, I have the opportunity.  I got back from my last trip to Afghanistan (so far) on Halloween, and I came back with some extra money I won from some Navy SEALs in poker.  My wife is in medical school and gets highly annoyed when I bother her when she's trying to study (she might not even realize I'm gone).  I don't have a TV or video game systems, and I've applied for grad school (still waiting to hear back but I'm optimistic, they accepted me once before), which doesn't start until around the end of July.  Which gives me a little over four months to complete the Trail, and I probably won't have this opportunity again until I retire from my next career/source of income.  Stars are aligned, so I'm pulling the trigger.  The tent, backpack, sleeping bag, camera, and other miscellaneous gear and expensive stuff is all bought.  All I really need now is a spoon.  So, March 1st, Appalachian Trail.  We have a date.   

6 comments:

  1. Bill Bentley put me on to your blog. I've section hiked the AT from Springer to NY (so far) since. 1993. I've also helped with the Pine Mountain Trail. My advice would be: Enjoy God's creation - the AT shows places where He was showing off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next, enjoy the characters you'll meet. They are as much a part of the AT as the scenery. My most vivid memories are from the people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Progress is measured one day at a time. Some will be invigorating and exciting. Others will be cold, wet and miserable. Just keep walking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't get caught up looking too far ahead and missing today. Appreciate where you are. To quote Jesus, "Tomorrow will care for itself." Today is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This last one is profound - don't stay at the Doyle (aka The Soil, Bed Bug and Beyond).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Shad, I appreciate the advice.

    ReplyDelete