Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Williamstown.

We got up early, anyway. The opportunity to leave and make some miles today was there...but we didn't take it. Had a pretty good breakfast at the hotel, and checked the weather. It was going to be 90 degrees today. That is rather unpleasantly warm, and no one was really anxious to get on the trail and face that. Particularly with the humidity. 

So while debating, we decided to go to the Dunkin Donuts next door. I had this odd idea about getting back on the horse that threw me. Gear was packing up, and Alchemist and Monty Lou were going to the library, so I went by myself until Gear finished up and came over. I brought my pack in and chose an empty table next to an outlet. 

When I set my pack down two older gentlemen asked me about hiking, and we struck up a conversation. One of the guys had an interest in hiking the trail, but was worried because he didn't have any experience. So I (and Gear when he came in) tried to give him information, answering any questions they had. They were very entertaining to talk to. 

Ted, the marathon runner, bought us coffee. Looking at the two of them I briefly considered getting black coffee, no cream or sugar, because they seemed like that kind of gentleman. But I figured I needed the calories, plus it was too hot to drink hot coffee so I got an iced something or other with ridiculous amounts of sugar and milk. Geared Up got a Coolata. Better man than I. Second day in a row I wished I had that gift card that was given me in Vernon. 

Now I think of if, I've had good luck in DDs. In Hamburg, the guy gave me a donut because he thought I was homeless, in Vernon I got the gift card, and today the free coffee, and then a ride the couple miles to the library. We really enjoyed talking to those gentlemen. 

Williamstown is a very pretty town. There is a college there, and there are some exceptionally attractive buildings there. If I knew anything about architecture I'd spout some of it off, but basically the buildings were old and pretty. There were a couple of art museums, a theater, and a lot of other cultural attractions. But mostly the people were super friendly. 

The library was awesome to us. Apparently this one had been voted best trail side library for three years. I believe it. Just spending the day hanging out in a library was one of the trail events that I had really wanted to take part in, and I'm glad I finally got the chance.  There was an attached museum about the history of Williamstown, which I visited. I now know more about the history and founding of Williamstown than I ever expected to. 

Geared Up spent the time reading the new Stephen King book and arguing with people on Facebook about ultralight hiking. He's an ultralight proponent, carrying about 12 pounds total with him. Some people were saying ridiculous things such as he would be the cause of deaths or would need to be rescued due to his minimalist gear, which is mildly amusing since he thru-hiked the PCT last year and is now nearly 1600 miles into the AT. Good news, though, that a reporter wants to interview him about his ultralight experiences. Maybe he'll get a cover shot. 

After hanging out there for several hours, we went to get food. Oh, and we ran into Monologue at the library. He'd spent the night sleeping in the bushes on campus, and then this morning somehow got a date. He was pretty nervous about it. Anyway, we went to some Thai restaraunt. Very good. I don't remember what my dish was called, but I stuffed myself and it was great. 

Then the World Cup was on, and we half-heartedly attempted to find a place to watch the game. I bought a pair of socks in one of the stores, and we went to a market. The store had only just opened, and we talked with the owner a while. She owned a catering business first, and told us stories of Bradley Cooper hanging out when he was in town for a theater run. Chris Pine was going to be starring this year. 

Eventually we left and headed back to the trail, after the World Cup match. I gave hitching another try, and wonder of wonders, someone stopped. It was an Iraqi war vet, infantry guy. Talked with him while he drove us back to the trail head. 

We were getting started at something like  1830. Kind of a late start, but we beat the heat, I guess. Gear and I did 7 or 8 miles to a shelter, but during that time we crossed into Vermont!  Mud is apparently what we are to expect. Three states to go. Also, we have less than 600 miles to go. We are sharing the shelter with two guys doing the Long Trail, a 300 mile trail that shares part of the AT. There are a couple of tents out there, but I think it's going to rain, so shelter for me. Hard to Kill might be out there. 

I took like no pictures today, but this is the Vermont sign. Yay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment