Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Whites continue.

To kick my butt. But on the plus side, saw a moose. Thought it was a donkey that had gotten loose. Then realized it was a moose.  Good start to the day. On top of Wildcat Mt, Geared Up and I caught a gondola ride down to the ski lodge for lunch. Trail Bunny was down there, so we hung out with her. We stayed for too long, really, almost 3 hrs. 

At the last hut of the Whites, ran into Chef, and then Machine! Hadn't seen her in quite a while, so I was pretty happy. We talked for a while, but she was staying there and I intended to do a few more miles, so we bid adieu. I was very tempted to stay, though. 

Of course, I hadn't backtracked yet today, so had to keep that up. So I came to this intersection, and the AT wasn't marked. I stared at the signs. Stared down the trails. Stared at the signs. One sign said Zeta pass. I knew Zeta pass was on the trail, so I went that way. Sigh. The next intersection, I noticed that the trail that came from the direction I was not coming from had a remarkable number of white blazes. Sooo... instead of walking back the way I came to reacquire the trail, I walked back the blazes. I figure that way I couldn't miss the right path. But that meant I ended up climbing Mt. Height from the wrong direction, heading south. So when I finished that challenge, I turned around and climbed it again, this time heading north. Lot of extra climbing. And it was now getting dark, so I camped on top of Mt. Height. Did see the biggest jackrabbit I've ever seen. 

Moose

Gondola. 

2 comments: