Sunday, March 2, 2014

Woody Gap

So a ridiculously good day. Left out of Hawk shelter before 9 (8:45), and received my first trail magic about a mile or so later. Someone had left a gallon of water. Not much, but that was a pretty dry section, so much appreciated. Greenbean caught up with me pretty early on, and we hiked together off and on for most of the day. He was much faster than me, but he liked walking with me because I was slow and kept him at a good (slow) pace.  People kept complimenting my pacing today, and telling me they want to hike with me so I rein them in. Sigh. So different from the army. Anyway, we passed two weekenders who told us that some guy had set up at Woody Gap and was cooking hamburgers for all the thru-hikers. That was about where I'd hoped to make it to, so it gave me more motivation to get there. We eventually caught up with Flex, who was debating on camping early, but when we told her about hamburgers, she started hiking again with us. She also complimented my pace. Sigh. Who thought being slow would be a good thing?  Decent mileage for this early on, 12.9. Over 13 if you count side trails, I'm sure. 
Woody Gap was awesome. Freshbrew was set up with his Leapfrog Cafe. This guy is awesome. He sets up here for ten days, then moves north two hundred miles and sets up again. Totally free. This man should be a legend. He fed me ridiculous amounts. Awesome guy. We set up camp here, some people actually sleeping under his tarp. And he's going to cook us breakfast. Two Brits are here also, and parked in the parking lot is a CB enthusiast who lives in his truck and who is prepared for when the "hard times" begin. Earlier in the day came across a family walking up a draw that the trail crossed, the father had his pistol, his teenaged son had a rifle slung over his shoulder, and mom had the dog, who she restrained from attacking me. My kind of people. We talked for a minute. I love the south. Tomorrow supposed to rain. Hope not, but at least hope it holds off until I get to Neel Gap (with whoever I am pacing).  Will be first resupply, but with Freshbrew taking care of me, I should have plenty of food. Forgot the selfie today, sorry. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a party - so far Michael. Enjoy and have fun. Love, Aunt Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't forget the selfie again! Love - your favorite family member - Jaimie!

    ReplyDelete