Sunday, March 9, 2014

North Carolina

So had a good night at the Blueberry Hostel. Very warm, and even a mattress I didn't have to inflate. When we woke up I read "the daily Psalm."  I'm hoping that will stick. Then this morning Gary and Lindsay fed us delicious pancakes with homemade blueberry syrup and biscuits and sausage and hashbrowns and probably other deliciousness that overwhelmed my memory. For free. After eating, Gary brought me into their home to meet their cats, specifically their giant, a great orange cat that was near on 20 lbs. He still wasn't as big as my cat Creasy, but a  good sized feline. Quite enjoyed playing with their cats. Gary gave us a ride back to the trailhead, and we said goodbye. Those are excellent people, and I had a good experience in Hiawasee overall. PA System took off, starting his 20+ miles a day stretch. Don't expect to see him on the trail again. Lumberjack had to go back to work, so he's gone, too. 

Crossed the border! Georgia is done. Good experience, for sure. Hope NC is as good. Sure isn't starting out that way. Rough day. Did meet a couple of former NASA scientists, Princess and Rocketman (clever, huh?). They were hiking with Ranger, a former forest ranger. Good people, if maybe a little unoriginal with their names. All from VA. Then saw the "twisted tree," which I took some photos of. The walking was just spiritually draining today. I don't know why, but I even had my first random thoughts of getting off the trail. Then I thought about how my yes should be yes and my no be no. I said I was going to hike it, so I'm going to as long as I physically can or I get to Maine. 

Flex started off way ahead of me, and I didn't see her until getting to Muskrat shelter. HTK arrived after me. Down and Low (stayed with us at Blueberry) were here, they had been doing big miles but Down told me it was a rough day on them. Which sucks, but it made me feel better because it sort of crushed me, also. Apparently everyone thought so. Just long mountains, and it seemed to us that the mileage was off. I'm just saying, that last .9 miles was the longest .9 miles I've ever done. It was really good to hear I wasn't the only one who was really challenged today. 

Nails is here, a Nashville girl who I met the first night at Hawk shelter, but didn't expect to see again because she was planning on doing small mileage for a while. Changed her mind, she says. Also Dora and Backpack got their trail names today, because Dora said "I'm actually an adventure educator" and I said "so is Dora the Explorer."  I think they're the last to be named. Another girl here I just met is named Sunrise. Don't really know her yet. 

Flex just asked about joining me for a little longer, since there are some people here who are a little uncomfortable to be around. I figure we'll stay in the same vicinity until my wife gives us a ride into Franklin. I'm also trying to avoid associating with these people. Just different lifestyles (they smoke a lot of pot). Nothing dangerous, just annoying to be around. Nails, Flex, Sunrise and I have our tents away from the shelter. Hmm, maybe I put my tent up in the girls' section. Nah, Bangerang is nearby, too. He is a Vasque Thru-hiker Associate or something like that. His group is apparently trying to get kids to be more active or something.  Good guy. He plays music while hiking, but not with headphones. Doubt he'll see  a bear. He has awesome gear, though. Bed time.  Did 11.8 miles today, but it was rough. Hope tomorrow is easier. 

The end of Georgia. It is no longer on my mind. 

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there, one day at a time. Love, Aunt Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. dont stop believing. .....................journey

    ReplyDelete
  3. If something is worth doing, it is worth doing well. Do all things as if you are doing them for the Lord.

    ReplyDelete