Friday, March 21, 2014

The Bicentennial Edition

Two hundred miles today. Actually 206.8, but no need being picky. Currently in a hotel waiting for the UK game to start. Elder Sparkle and Lady Sparkle came down to pick me up at Newfound Gap, and taking a zero or nero tomorrow. My poor little feet need it. 

Started out at Silers Bald shelter, the second one named that on the AT. Miserable night of sleep. Two, two mice ran across my sleeping bag last night (one at my feet, and one by my head) and sleeping above 5000 feet is cold. Very cold. So waking up this morning was rough. Not the first out today. Did talk to several people I'd last seen in Fontana, like Pooh Bear, Sun Bear, Joules, Canary, and Grease. Sun Bear was the only one that didn't beat me out. 

Yesterday was a 17.5 mile trip, but Newfound Gap was only twelve miles away today. So too easy, right? Told the Elder that I'd be there early afternoonish in a text message in one of the thirty second increments I had signal. So off I go.  And revised my opinion of the Smokies. Nice walking. Gorgeous ridge tops with easy striding and spectacular views. Pretty awesome.

Stopped at the next shelter, or just short of it. Because I almost ran into a deer. Or maybe it almost ran into me. Didn't run off, either. Just started eating, maybe five feet away from me. A second one was hanging out also. After watching them munch for a while I walked the few yards to the shelter where a group of four men and Grease were sitting. Apparently they were trail volunteers, and had been sitting up there for three days already waiting for the supplies to build a privy to be airlifted in. They were out of food. One of the older gentlemen was a UK alum, seem to be meeting a bunch of them. I offered to share my emergency kimchi, but they declined. Grease took off, but I sat with them at least half an hour talking UK ball and cannibalism, which they were debating resorting to. I left. A mile or so down the trail, I was sitting on a ridge line and a ridge-runner came by with food for those guys. Hope there were still four of them there. He also told me I should consider coming back and working with them after I finish the trail. Eh. 

Made it to Clingman's Dome at around one, and had some nice views. Something like 6000 feet. Highest point of the Appalachian Trail. That means it's all downhill from here, right? Sigh. Anyway, there was a sign that said "Newfound Gap 5.5 miles." So I'm like, two hours super easy. So I send a text saying I'll be there at three. Sadly, that was as the crow flies distance, not as the AT winds distance, which was actually 7.8 miles. So now I got to book it. Since I was planning on resting up tomorrow anyway, no big deal. 

So I pushed it, and passed everyone. First time I did that on the trail. Was doing pretty well, but about a mile after hitting two hundred miles (+8.8 for the approach), I'm thinking to myself, "I haven't fallen yet. I'm totally gonna be the first guy ever walking the whole way without falling," and of course hit some mud while I'm carrying my poles and, well, I wasn't thinking that anymore. And five minutes later I trip and hit the ground again. Sigh. 

About a half a mile before the Gap, I looked up and there's Elder Sparkle. He'd walked down the trail to meet me. We walked back the rest of the way together, at a much more sedate rate, which made me happy. He also had a bottle of water for me, which was awesome 'cuz I only had some iodine treated water left. Newfound Gap was pretty crazy busy, but now I'm showered, wearing clean clothes and sleeping in a bed tonight, so a pretty great day. 
Clingman's Dome (not 5.5 miles from Newfound Gap)

No comments:

Post a Comment