Wednesday, March 5, 2014

On Rocky Mountain

So today was pretty good. Left out of Low Gap, much easier hiking for most of the day. Walked with Flex the first half of the day. Time and distance move much faster when talking to some one. We stopped for lunch on Blue Mountain, was a gorgeous view, and if I had all the time in the world would have stayed there all day. But on we trucked. She had a bottle of honey that she didn't want because it was heavy, so I took it. Really good honey. She also gave me a piece of maple syrup candy (she's from Vermont). After lunch we split up. Flex is a speed demon, and she went on ahead. She was planning on staying at Unicoi Gap. I was intending to go to the cheese factory, or maybe farther. When I got to Unicoi, no one was there so I assumed everyone had caught a ride into town. I was half right, as PA System and Lumberjack had done so. I trudged on. The next mountain, Rocky (really), went on forever. Much of it was by one of the prettiest mountain streams I've ever seen, and I considered filling my bottle, but I had water in my camelbak so figured I was okay since there was a source in a couple more miles. At the top of Rocky there was a side trail, and the guide book was sort of vague about some great view, so I dropped my bag on the trail and walked off with my camera. Flex was camping there, so I said hi. I was pretty surprised, since I thought she was in town. Went back and got my stuff and started on, then got to thinking about it and didn't feel right about leaving her by herself, asked her if she would prefer company, which she said yes, so I camped also. It was a pretty nice spot, since the wind was down. But since I didn't have any water, I had to walk back down the mountain over a mile. Did it without my pack, but that still sucked. Should have listened to that little voice the first time. Right after I got back, PA and Lumberjack arrived carrying Hard-to-kill Phil's pack. The three of them grew up together. Hard-to-kill (HTK) arrived not too long afterward. PA did a shakedown of HTK's stuff. And realized that most of his clothing was cotton. When they get to Hiawasee they are going to get him new stuff.  The guy is really sticking it out, though he usually looks miserable when I see him.  Then Lumberjack tried to build a fire in the middle of our tents, until I explained to him what embers do to tent material. Apparently I'm the responsible one. Like herding cats. The worst is if I'd known they were behind I could have been 3 or 4 more miles down the road. The good is that they're good people and entertaining  company. While I might prefer some solitude, I really can't complain about the quality of what I have. 

Me somewhat exasperated on Rocky Mountain. Pretty views, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment