Sunday, March 16, 2014

Playing Catch Up

Back on the trail again. Bittersweet. Missing Mrs. Sparkle already, but it is nice to be hiking again. No signal tonight, so I will upload this tomorrow, hopefully. 

Stayed an extra night off the trail, in Franklin. When we drove down from Sevierville, ran some errands and then just said to heck with it. Stayed in the Hampton Inn, a great experience there if a bit pricier than traditional AT lodging. Also picked up a power pack, which theoretically will charge my phone if I need it. 

Mrs. Sparkle drove me to Wayah Gap, and while we were hanging out met two people. One was a set designer, and the other one was some actor. Apparently they are turning "A Walk in the Woods" into a movie with Nick Nolte and Robert Redford. They're filming in Atlanta, but she was out getting ideas for the set. They were going up to Silers Bald. Talked with them a while, they were pretty cool. Another time when we weren't in the middle of our last moments together for a while and we would have talked to them more. 

Started out feeling great. My pack was about 5 lbs lighter, I was well rested, and my feet and knees weren't hurting. That didn't last. Knocked out the first five miles pretty quickly, so figured I'd do another five. Went across Wayah Bald. Big stone tower built up there. Really good view, not quite as nice as Silers, but still amazing. Currently I'm at Cold Spring shelter, a cozy little 6 person shelter right on the trail with a spring directly beside it, and a little two person picnic table. Very convenient. Right at 10 miles, which I'm happy with since I didn't start until noon. Considering 18.4 tomorrow. Was planning on it, but I go through the Nantahala Outdoor Center tomorrow. Supposed to be nice, so depends on how long I spend there. Play it by ear, I suppose. Thought I was going to have the shelter to myself, but a married couple came in while I was eating. More northerners. Cliffwalker and Stakes, good people. My age! They both quit their jobs and started hiking. I think they're the first non early twenties / early sixties I've seen, except for 4 Fingers. We talked a while, but we're old, so sleeping early. Apparently it's St. Patrick's on Monday. I feel like this has been very disjointed, and I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but it's sleep time. 
Me and Mrs. Sparkle

At Wayah Bald

2 comments:

  1. Im sure Nick Nolte will be playing the part of "Katz". Keep up the good work!

    Nick B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo of you and Mrs. Sparkle!! Wonderful couple!

    ReplyDelete