Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Short and lazy days.

We'll, I am currently sitting at Three Eagle Outfitters in Franklin, NC, waiting on the lovely Mrs. Sparkle to show up and whisk me away to a couple days of luxury. And by luxury I mean a place with a bathroom and running water. Amazing how flexible the definition of opulent can become. 

First off, let me inform you that the signal is spotty at best in this area, so it may be a few posts will all go up at around the same time. I suppose I should start dating them. "Sparkle log: March 12."  Maybe not quite like that. There is a guy on the trail somewhere ahead of me who is really into the video game Skyrim, and calls himself Dragon something or other and dates his entries according to the calendar system in the game. I sort of admire his dedication... But it's still kind of weird. Does make me curious to try the game this winter. 

Yesterday was a super easy day, just walked 8 miles to Silers Bald shelter. Took my time, like I usually do. Spent a while at Winding Stair Gap, where a gentleman named Rodney provided some excellent trail magic. I ran into an old Army Ranger (he was hiking without his shirt and his tattoos were on display) and he told me about it. Mostly through grunts, which luckily I am fluent in. Rodney wasn't there when I arrived, but he showed up soon afterwards. He'd gone to town to reload. Bananas, strawberries, and pineapple, plus coffee and orange juice. Awesome people down here. While indulging there, Mama Maniac and Half Moon arrived. First time I'd seen them since Hawk Shelter. Half Moon got her trail name the night before when her leggings were caught on a nail. Very descriptive name. They were going into town to stay the night, but I expect to run into them again.  

Stayed at Siler Bald shelter, which was quite warm. Stayed in the shelte since it was supposed to rain, and no one likes packing up a wet tent. Small group, me, HTK, Bangerang, Boots and Backpack. They had all gone into town for resupply. The weather was gorgeous yesterday, so I decided to do the halfmile hike up to Siler Bald's summit. Which I'd heard was one of the greatest views on the trail. I only brought my camera, and when I got to the top I ran into Flex, who was intending to camp up there. This was the second time I ran into her unexpectedly with nothing but my camera, which might appear awkward. Anyway, took a lot of pictures, and she asked me if I thought bears would bother her if she camped up there. I told her I didn't, but that the rain, wind and lightning were what I would be wary of. She said she'd come down to the shelter after the sunset. I'd of stayed, too, but I didn't have my headlamp on me. Absolutely gorgeous views. That was pretty much that. Woke up this morning, everyone walked on their ways, I walked two miles and then hitched a ride into Franklin with a lady who had a Lagotto Romagnola, very nice dog who was trained as a therapy dog. Met Kendra at Three Eagles Outfitters and picked up a couple of accessories for the trail there. Great place, and I highly recommend it to anybody in the vicinity. On the drive through the Smokies to Pigeon Forge we ran into a herd of elk. Pretty sweet. Thus begins my enforced days off. 

Alone in the woods selfie. It was that foggy. 

Couple of the dozen or so elk we saw. 


3 comments:

  1. I imagine the elk immediately standing up on its hind legs and shaking his 'tail feather' right after you took this shot. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missing your nightly blogs but know your having a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tommy Wilson forwards your blog. I respond here, in kind. When you get to Hot Springs, you should take a night to indulge at The Sunnyside Inn with Elmer. If you have time, the town actually does host a bevy of small businesses who charge for the use of hot tubs filled with hot spring water. I highly recommend partaking.

    I am starting at hot springs on Sunday morning and heading south for a week. I hope to see you on the trail.

    Brad R

    ReplyDelete