Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Century Mark

Another beautiful day. I was extraordinarily lazy this morning. Didn't even get up until 0800, and wasn't on the road until 1000. Very last person on the trail this morning, though Nails waited for me. Walked the first 4-5 miles with her.  We came across Hard-to-kill at this beautiful overlook. Took some pictures, then took off again. She left me on a steep cliff line. I kept wanting to look over the scenery, but it was pretty sketchy footing with nothing to catch you if you misstepped for a long way down. And then the stairs. Oh man, the ascent up to the fire tower that marked 100 miles wasn't long, but it was a steep scramble. Not fun. But gorgeous clear panoramic views of NC mountains. Boots and Backpack, Nails, and Bangerang were all up there, apparently they yelled out "Midnight!" while I was still coming up, but I was talking with a section hiker and didn't notice. Had lunch with them, summer sausage and cheese. Quickly becoming one of my favorite entrees. Walked by myself the rest of the day, which was nice. Company makes miles go past, but sometimes I like solitude. Stopped at a new shelter that had been built, mostly just to look at it and refill my water. Stayed there for about half an hour, was leaving when HTK stopped in to fill his water. That guy is tough.  Eventually stopped at Rock Gap shelter, 12.1 miles in.  Total of 106 on the AT. Came in to the shelter looking for "Tent City," as we're calling ourselves. Not the best sites for tents, but I think we all preferred to be away from the shelter crew. They're not bad guys, I actually like them. Nails took the easy way out and set up right next to the shelter and said I could set up beside her, but I wanted to be with Tent City, so I trudged down the hill to the spotty tent sites. Down and Low had a spot near them, but there was a sketchy dead limb in the vicinity so I set up near Flex beside a stream instead. Hope it doesn't rain. HTK took the spot near Down Low, hope he lives up to his name. Boots and Backpack are set up with Bangerang cowboy camping near them. Everyone is planning on getting up really early so they can go into Franklin for resupply and food. I'm tempted because I think it will be fun, but Mrs. Sparkle is picking me up the next day anyway so I might just skip it. I'm pretty happy, though, 'cuz I was only doing 8 miles tomorrow to Siler Bald, and I though everyone would be going farther. Since most people are going to town, though, they're all going to stay at Siler also. Except Nails and Down Low (Down Low are two people), who are planning on pushing further. I wanted to go farther, but as mentioned before, Mrs. Sparkle will be meeting me. No service here so will have to post this tomorrow. Apparently you can have pizza delivered to Winding Stair Gap (about 3 more miles). Maybe I'll do that for lunch tomorrow. 
Selfie at 100 miles. 

"100" made from Boots, Backpack, and Nails' hiking poles. And I think that's Boots' feet. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Midnight and Flex,
    Hey, I'm Flex's mombo, Carol. Just wanted to say hi and thank you for the great blog! I find your writing and Flex's emails so entertaining and as a mother would/should say, reassuring that Flex is with 'good people'. What an amazing adventure for all of you! Stay strong, keep your sense of humor and keep looking for trail magic...and of course, more good Vermont 'magic'. Love you Flex. See you in VA. Snowing buckets here in Vermont.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, I'm Midnight's mom and I know that she is in good hands! Praying for all of them. Freda

    ReplyDelete