Friday, March 7, 2014

The Blueberry Hostel

It's been a pretty interesting day. My first zero day, sort of. Actually it was a nero, which is what they call a day that you walk near zero miles. I had to walk 4 miles this morning to Dicks Creek Gap. 

Last night it started sleeting, which turned into snow, which turned into rain. It was so cold yesterday. That shelter was awesome, though. It definitely filled up, with hikers trickling in all night. Very warm, I was actually sweating in my bag. I was the first person up again this morning, but definitely not the first out. I woke up this morning, at 0530. It was pretty dark. Some people took off by headlamp. I waited until it became light, at about 0645.  When I hiked out to the main trail from the shelter, I started thinking about 4 Fingers' snafu from yesterday, and so I double checked my guidebook to make certain I was heading north. I was. Beautiful morning, with the mist swirling around the bases of the mountains. Couldn't get a picture, though, because of all the trees along the path. Also some great sections through mountain laurel tunnels. Lovely. The temperature also increased, and it was a very pleasant hike. Almost no pain at all in my right knee, which was a first since Blood Mountain. It started sprinkling once I arrived at the Gap around 0830 or so. Flex, PA, and Lumberjack were there, taking shelter from the rain. I joined them and we waited for the shuttle to the Blueberry Hostel. A shuttle from the new hostel/gear shop stopped by, with the proprietor Sir Packs-a-lot. Longhaul and a couple of hikers jumped out. Longhaul said it was a great experience, but I'd already planned on Blueberry, plus Blueberry was free. Talked with Sir Packs-a-lot a while. His new place sounds good. Of course, it is his place. PA told him they might be coming by later for gear for Hard-to-kill Phil, and we were still standing there talking when he trudged out of the mountains, wearing his soaked cotton hoody and with his distinct wide legged stride caused by his severe chafing. Sir Packs-a-lot takes one look, and says "ohhh Phil," in the most pitiful tone imaginable. We all cracked up.

At 0930 Gary came by and picked us up, and drove us to the Blueberry Hostel. These guys are awesome, and they run it as a Christian ministry. All free, though donations are accepted. Met Texas Tornado there. This lady is larger than life. Literally. Just one of the things she said today... "My husband always carried his gun. I made sure he always carried a big one, 'cuz we were walking through grizzly country, and this was back when I was menstruating. Women been killed that way afore."  This lady had four surgeries last year, three to remove cancer and one on her brain (trigeminal nerve, to be precise), and only three working chambers in her heart (she's not sure which three). Add to that that she is rather overweight, and it's extremely impressive she's 70 miles into the AT. 

PA, Lumberjack, HTK and I went to Big Al's AYCE pizza buffet, where Little Al made each of us whatever pizza we wanted. I chose bacon and feta. It was glorious. Then we hit up the grocery store for resupply, and then a few stores trying to upgrade HTK's wardrobe.  Then they dropped me off at the hostel while they went to watch the Lego movie. I bet two bucks they come back singing "Everything is awesome!" (Update: it wasn't showing here so they went to eat again)

Now I'm back at the hostel, and we have two new additions. I'm being maybe a bit uncharitable in my thoughts, but I find both of them annoying. One in that quiet, creepy sort of way, the other in that loud, obnoxious kind of way. That one is from Vegas. I can't tell if his hair is actually colored dreds or if he's woven colored yarn in with it. Which isn't why he's a jerk. Maybe he's not a jerk. But I think he is. Hopefully I won't have to see. Well, at the moment he's telling us how he's hacked his Obama phone and using it as a smart phone. Or something like that. I'm trying to ignore him. 

Looking forward to tomorrow morning when they are going to feed us pancakes with homemade blueberry syrup. Good people here. 
Non-selfie in the Blueberry Hostel's backyard. 

3 comments:

  1. i really enjoy reading your posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your posts too. Also the photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete