Friday, March 21, 2014

Siler's Bald II

Different shelter. Another long day, but pretty good one. About 17-18 miles today.  I already ripped out the page with yesterday's shelter. First out this morning from Mollies, at around 0800. The speedy guy and Walk Worthy passed me, them I passed them, and then them again, when I just started walking with them. Last I saw of them was when I stopped for my second breakfast. I usually eat a quick snack of some sort, and then after a few miles take a break to eat a more suitable one. I call it my elevensies. Summer sausage and cheese. Pretty awesome. Also a park ranger with stopped by, I guess he has that loop. He checked my permit, but was very friendly about it. Seemed like a good guy. Then a lot of walking. 

I'm telling you, I'm not that impressed with the Smokies yet. I mean, sure, some gorgeous views. Rocky Top (yes, I sang the song on top of it) was particularly stunning, but there are much easier trails to get there than the ones we did. So when people are raving about the views, I'm like, meh. Ran into an awesome couple though who live just a few miles away from one of the shelters, and they told me the best views are the ones coming up. So I'm hopeful. 

Spaghetti and Motor are here, as well as a bunch of people who were ahead of me. Makes me feel like I'm getting faster, especially since I feel reasonably well. My feet are sore, but not hurting. Tomorrow I think I'm going to push the pace. It's a relatively short day of about 12 miles, and then I'm zeroing Saturday. Clingman's Dome is tomorrow, as is also the 200 mile mark. So, you know, that's cool. Pants got his trail name today, I think. He came out of the shelter with his pants on backwards. So Pants, cuz Stnap is too hard to pronounce. Pants backwards, if you missed it. Sleep time. 

Me in the morning and why the Smokies got their name. 

Rocky Top

Me on Rocky Top. 




No comments:

Post a Comment