Thursday, March 20, 2014

I'm not actually sure where I am...

I mean, I'm at some shelter in the Smokies, but it was dark again when I made it in. I think it's something like Molly's shelter, but not sure. No signal either, so this will be going up tomorrow. 

Only a half day of walking, since I had to resupply in Fontana Village before moving on. Luckily Fresh Ground was set up and gave me breakfast, and later lunch, though I'm still kicking myself for not asking for one of his omelets, which he started making right when I finally decided to move on. The Village was nice, stuff was pretty pricey in the general store, but the lady was nice and they had free coffee and wifi. She also gave us some fruit. Spaghetti and Motor came in while I was shopping. 

So this morning, once everyone was up and about, I met everyone. Several of them were "You're Midnight Sparkle!?" Apparently my name is known. Which was surprising considering how far ahead everyone I hiked with is. I'm not sure if the notoriety is a good thing, since I don't know for sure whether they heard good things or bad ones...but I'll assume they were pleasant.  Also great, Boots and Backpack left me a message in the Leapfrog Cafe register, telling me where they will be tomorrow. Unfortunately I can't make it there until the next day. I'll catch up though. Flex drew a picture of everyone in crayon having a good time with Fresh Ground. Apparently they all went for a swim at the Dam, which seems cold to me. 

The Smokies are not my favorite part so far. Granted I've only been here for a day, but not only were the views mostly obscured, this is the only place you have to pay to hike. But mostly I'm not enjoying it yet because it's all uphill. Did climb some old rickety fire tower. Emphasis on rickety. Probably shouldn't have climbed it, especially since I was alone, but I got some good pictures. I think I went around ten miles today. Expecting fifteen tomorrow. Pretty late again, so I'm off to sleep. 

Me and Fresh Ground at the Leapfrog Cafe

3 comments:

  1. Be sure to thank Fresh Ground for me. I appreciate all that he does for you and your co-travelers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why is it taking so long for midnite tinkles beard to come in?

    ReplyDelete