Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Mardi Gras on the AT!

Woke up this morning at Neels Gap. Which was good since that is where I went to bed at. Usually a good thing. I think I forgot to mention my run in with the Granite Gear sales rep. He comes up to me and compliments me on my pack. We talk for a bit and he sees my tent and asks me if it is a Big Agnes tent. I tell him no and proceed to tell him about how my tent had better reviews and fit my needs better. He's getting visibly upset. Turns out he's the Big Agnes rep, also. Eh. I didn't tell him my next choice would have been a Mountain Hardwear. To be fair, BA has some great tents and several thru-hikers here have them.

Today was spectacularly amazing. First got some beads for Mardi Gras from Bangerang, and several of us wore them while hiking today. When I left the hostel, I ran into Baltimore Jack, a well known former thru-hiker. He pointed out the shoe tree (which I'd completely missed the night before) and took a couple pictures of me going through the famous Neels Gap arch. I walked into another world. 

The heavy fog last night, combined with the strong wind and the freezing temperatures covered all of the trees with this incredible frost. It was like nothing I'd seen before. I stopped dozens of times to take pictures and gawk, but I don't think the pictures will do it justice. I wish I had the words to describe it. I think this is what frost rime is, but I'm not sure. Delicate wings of frost waved out from the branches and leaves. Some of the most spectacular sights were the spider webs. 

Also got some great trail magic from King Tut, who had food and hot drinks, plus knit hats. I passed on the knit hat, I just didn't want anything more to carry, but I think most everyone else grabbed one. They were pretty cool. 

Right now I am at Low Gap. Not sure offhand how far, but around 10 or 11 miles. The 2% mark. There is a shelter here but I like my tent. Even though there are giant chunks of ice periodically falling off the trees and hitting my little home. When they hit the shelter they make quite a racket. There is a hiker in the shelter who was an infantryman in Vietnam. Said he knew some 173rd guys. I think he said he was with 1/98. He was wearing the same Asolo boots I wore in the Korengal, which is why I started talking to him. Speaking of, I think my Korengal legs are coming back, very slowly. One of these hills reminded me of the walk up from Babyal. Ah, good times. 

Flex and PA System (formerly Brash) are here, and a few other faces I recognize. PA System is a good name for him because he's the loudest man I've ever met, and he's always talking. Today while I was eating lunch, I can hear him coming up the trail with his buddy Ross. "They're in this boat, with Prince Caspian, trying to find the nine lords..." He is relating the plot of all the Narnia books as they walk. You sort of want to hate him, but he's just such a funny, friendly, and awesome guy.

Four-fingers is here. He cut his finger to the bone while shaving kindling the other day, and had to hike 17 miles to get a ride to the doctor. Tough son of a gun from Alabama. He was just telling me about an 11 foot alligator he caught. 

I like coming into camp. There are always cries of "Midnight!" and "It's Midnight Sparkle!" And usually at least one "It's Some Kind of Fantasy!" which is apparently my secondary name. Or as Flex says it's now my trademark. I can live with it. 

Me with some frost in the background. Hard to see how cool it was. Took a lot of  pictures with my actual camera. 


1 comment:

  1. Beard is starting to appear. Have fun - love Aunt Marty

    ReplyDelete