Monday, June 9, 2014

Port Clinton

Woke up this morning in the Port Clinton free camping area and kind of lolly gagged. Had to wait for the post office to open first, and then was planning on going to Cabela's to get new insoles. These rocks up here in PA have been killing my feet, so I figure if I get some more rigid insoles that they might help. 

Betty at the post office was exceptionally nice, and we talked for quite a while, about her family, the trail, the town, etc. Since I was planning on going into town later, I said "Do you mind if I ask you a rather awkward question? How bad do I smell?" "You're fine, I can't even smell you. Some of them, though, soon as they come in the door..." She then told me how some proprietors would kick hikers out if they smelled too bad. I don't really blame 'em, I guess. I think Port Clinton has a love/hate relationship with hikers. They definitely like to talk about 'em. 

Got a package from Momma Sparkle, and it was packed enough that I didn't need to go to Walmart for a resupply. I was a little sad about that, actually. It's such a pleasure to wander the food aisles and look at all the things I'm going to eat when I'm finished. 

But since I didn't smell too bad, I called up Cabela's. They supposedly would send a shuttle to pick us up if they had the staffing. The guy at the store told me they could, but not until 10. It wasn't even 9 yet, so I asked how far a walk they were. A mile to a mile and a half, I was told. Then he said, "We talk about it all the time down here, how these hikers would walk 1100 miles but balk at the extra little bit to come down here. Nothing against you, of course." No worries. I'll walk it, to prove in not lazy! I assume that was my rationale. Because I definitely walked it. 

And immediately came up with many reasons why hikers wouldn't want to. First off, my feet hurt. Asphalt is no fun when your shoes are starting to wear out, you're carrying a full pack (thanks Mom!) and you are already limping from the pain in your feet. Second, it's a time thing. A mile and a half takes about half an hour (limping), compared to five minutes in a car. And third and most importantly, it's less scary. I walked down a daggone 4 lane, with semis zooming past me at speeds and distances I was extremely uncomfortable with. When one truck pulled off right beside me, first I jumped, then I thought, "I'm saved! Someone is gonna ask if I need a ride!" But no, it was a construction crew and I was just right where they were gonna park. 

Anyway, I survived. Right in front of Cabela's was a Baskin Robbin/Dunkin Donut shop. I starting salivating over a BR milkshake. What? It was after 9 am. Don't judge me. Anyway, it was not to be. 

There was a crazy line in the drive-thru, but as I was lacking a vehicle this was no problem to me. So I walked inside, dropped my pack off, was glared at by some customers, washed up, and got in the much shorter indoor line. Which quickly became out of control sized. People really wanted their donuts! 

When I got to order, I was crushed. Their milkshake machine wasn't working! It's like a conspiracy or something. They had plenty of other delicious things, so I got some massive milkshake like drink, and figured I'd grab a couple of donuts, too. You know, for a balanced diet. When I paid, I found out why they were so crazy busy. It's National Donut Day! Apparently that's a thing. And they gave everyone one free donut. Pretty sweet. 

Today I realized that I look homeless. I was under the impression that I looked like a rugged hiker type, but no, just homeless. I sat at Dunkin Donuts for a while, because they had free wifi. Eventually, a man came over and offered me a donut. "I can't eat this, we didn't even want it, but it was free. Can you use it?" I'm like, awesome! So I thank the man, and tell him how hard it is to keep up the calorie intake on the trail. "On the trail?" he asked. "Yes, the Appalachian Trail." "You're doing that?" So I realized he thought I was homeless and was trying to be nice. I ate the donut. 

Next was Cabela's. An extremely exuberant greeter very smoothly, diplomatically, and politely asked me to leave my pack in the lobby area. I was planning on it, but this guy was good! I asked him if I could leave a battery charger, and who I would talk to about a shuttle when I was done. He was exceptionally friendly and helpful, and pointed me to where the insoles were. Side note, polar bears are huge. They had some stuffed ones. 

I took my time and chose some insoles that looked rigid enough and felt like they'd hold up, and then got caught with two impulse buys. A visor and an insect repellent bandanna. They were on sale! Don't judge me. 

So finished with my shopping, I go to reclaim my battery charger. At the customer service desk, I walk up and wait while the lady there is taking care of something else. Again I think I was misjudged by my appearance. Rather curtly, to my ear anyway, she said "What do you need?" I assume she also thought I was homeless. I was somewhat shocked, and I stared at her, at a loss. Finally I said, "Maybe I'm mistaken, but I feel that wasn't a very polite way to say 'Can I help you?'" She immediately apologized, and then I did as well for being too sensitive (though I don't think I was), and I acquired my charger plus a ride back to the trailhead. 

At the trailhead, I ran into Fiver, who was just walking into town. She came over and joined me where I was organizing my gear, and an older gentleman told us we should go to the barber shop, where there was free coffee and cookies. What a great stop. We sat in there and talked to those guys for something like an hour. I could have hung out there all day long. But had to leave eventually. I hiked with Fiver the next few miles to where she was planning on camping, then I moved on about ten more miles or so. 

Fiver coming into town. 

The guys. 

Me with my impulse buy visor. 



No comments:

Post a Comment