Sunday, June 22, 2014

Kent

So went rock climbing today. My wife is going to be so much better than me when I get home that she's going to embarrass me. And then laugh because she's cold-hearted and British. 

Me, Lady Moose, Da Vinci, Dinosaur, and Beandip started hiking towards the Kent trailhead. They waited at the road for Shorts to show up, but I started walking into town. Figured I'd take care of some stuff while waiting. Before I could get there, a van rolled up and Lady Moose asked me if I wanted any candy. I laughed and jumped in. 

We drove into town and stopped at the bakery. This place was awesome. First off, there was that smell. If you've ever walked into a good bakery early in the morning, you know what I'm talking about. That delicious wonderful odor that promises you that you will enjoy stuffing yourself. 

Second, the food was as good as it smelled. Third, the staff were exceptionally friendly. We talked for quite a while, about everything from mix tapes to the trail. When we were checking out, they just loaded us up with all of their goods that were on sale (the day old stuff). Enough food for all of us all day. And gooood pastries. Apricot danishes, sweet cornbread, and other assorted deliciousness. 

And then to the cliffs. The climbing was literally on the trail. A few miles farther than I was, but we had hikers walking past as we climbed. It was a little annoying because I was going to have to go backwards and then hike back to the same place again, but no big deal. Fun climbs, but fairly easy grades, which was good since we were climbing in our hiking shoes. This was to be my last excursion in my shoes, as I was picking up my new ones in Kent.  I was the only experienced lead belayer besides Shorts, so I belayed him while he lead the climbs. Fun stuff. 

At around two, Shorts drove me back into Kent and dropped me off so I could pick my shoes up at the ice cream place/ outfitter. Another great place. Milkshakes! A close second to new shoes for excitement. 

My new shoes were... well... nice. It's hard to explain without using over the top superlatives. If you've never hiked for hundreds of miles in the same pair and run them into the ground day after day, then it's hard to explain the relief new shoes bring to your feet. It's mostly just an absence of ever present pain. Well, a lessening of it, anyway. 

So now I wanted to wash my clothes. Small problem. The laundromat in Kent had a strict "No hikers allowed" policy. For real. Apparently someone decided to wash all of their clothes. Naked hikers in a place of business can be an emotionally trying experience, so I can't really blame the lady. There are some hikers out here who have serious entitlement issues. They believe that because they are hiking the trail, they are deserving of everyone's assistance, going so far as to be angry when someone doesn't give them something. What they don't understand is that we are pretty much on vacation. A sometimes horrible one, but it's our choice. It's kinda like going to Hawaii and then getting pissed when they don't give you free room and board. I digress. 

So I wanted clean clothes. Well, I figured I could go ask politely, and worst that happens is I'm turned away. So off I go to face the dragon in its den. 

The owner wasn't there. Instead, a friend of hers was manning the shop. He asked me to step outside, and we talked. Basically he was cool with me utilizing the facilities as long as I wore clothes and didn't stand in the sink. I am not exaggerating or making anything up. However, if anyone asked, I was actually a lumberjack from the next town over (can't remember which one).  Rather bemused, I washed my clothes. While doing so, the owner arrived. She didn't say anything to me, though I think she glared at me. I might have imagined it, but she got called to a call while I was there (she's an EMT) and I had no issues. I did feel some guilt at feeling happy that there was an emergency call. 

Then I went back to Annie Bananies (the ice cream place) for a milkshake. But I got side lined by a chocolate/coffee shop. It was about as amazing as you'd expect. Ran into Pilot and Navigator and they told me about Country Clothes, a store that allowed camping behind it, with an outdoor shower. Good people. So I went ahead and set up camp. 

Watched the Portugal game at the pizza place. Pizza was good, last 5 seconds not so much. Better than a loss. Started talking with some of the local guys. UConn fans. "The only teams ever to.." I broke in. "Win both men's and women's. I know. Twice, I know!" They were a good group of guys. Kept trying to buy me a beer, which I turned down. Good town. 

The lovely, extremely hiker-friendly ladies from the bakery. They started our day out awesome. 

Going climbing!

Shorts and the ladies preparing. 

The Country Clothes welcoming cat. Legit. 




 

1 comment:

  1. You'll have something close to rappelling on the trail just north of Kent (the descent of St. John's Ledges). Catch breakfast at the Villager.

    ReplyDelete