Wednesday, June 25, 2014

1500 or so.

Went to Salisbury today (25th). The AT ran pretty close to it, and I was craving a Coke. I had only camped a few miles short of town. Pretty nice place. Went into a coffee shop/bakery. Had some coffee and an ice cream sandwich, made with their cookies and local ice cream. One of the locals described her town as "schnitzy." I'd never heard that word before, but I was digging it. Schnitzy. 

Ran into Pooh Bear, he was leaving town. I went to the grocery store (classy!) and got a Boarshead turkey Sausalito and horseradish cheddar sandwich. So good. So very good. 

Hiking out, I ran into Chris from Conneticut, a real good guy and a photographer for the newspaper and former deputy. He kept trying to give me stuff to help me out. I appreciated it, but I had everything I needed. I got him to take some pictures of me with my camera, so I've got some professional photos of me at a great view. He also knew Tim Hetherington. 

While we were talking also met a really nice lady, but unfortunately I'm drawing a blank on her name, but I think her dogs name was Zip....or something like that. I meant to write the names down, but completely forgot. 

Ran into Buttercup and we hiked the rest of the day together. She's good company. An ultra-marathoner who went to Cornell. Some people are just over-achievers. But funny and interesting. 

We hiked to a shelter because it was going to rain.  A smaller shelter, but there was only one other girl there when we got there. Well, and her dog. I was going to pet the tiny chihuahua looking thing, but was warned "she's not that friendly." 

Apparently the dog just got out of impoundment for biting someone else.
Always a good idea to bring the friendly dogs into the shelters. The dog also periodically let out the most piteous whines, at a rather high decibel. At two in the morning. At least we were dry. 

Thanks, Chris!

Oh yeah, 1500 miles. 

Buttercup along one of the ledges. 




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've officially passed me! We made it to CT41 in early May. The parking spot was a weird place for a moldering privy. We are planning a trip for late September/early October that will get us to Bennington VT. By then, Lord willing, you'll be home after your photo-op on Katahdin. You posts have allowed me to re-live the parts we've done. From here on, I'm using you to do reconnaissance. Take note of good restaurants and hotels. Warn us about bad shelters, dogs, Yankees and the like. We're counting on you to finish so we aren't flying blind. Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete