Sunday, June 8, 2014

A night in jail.

It's not what you think. The town of Palmertown has turned the basement of their city hall (they call it something else) into a hostel. It was originally a jail. I was excited, expecting to sleep in a cell with bars and everything. Nah. Just like any other basement. It would have been a let down except that they let hikers stay free and they have a shower. Good town. Good milkshakes. 

Today was supposed to be a nero, but didn't quite get the mileage I wanted yesterday (these rocks really slow you down!) so I ended up doing ten miles this morning. And then maybe some trespassing. Not sure if I broke any laws or not. 

See, there is a side trail leading to Palmertown, I guess 'cuz the road leading here is pretty sketchy to walk on. But there's a chain link gate across where the road meets the trail. I couldn't figure out where to go around (apparently there is a way, but I didn't see it). 

So, I looked at this gate. I was on the trespassing side already. The gate was meant to keep people out of the side where I was already at. So I figured getting through it would be the civically responsible action. There was a bit of a gap between the two gates when they were pushed to their limits, and I thought "well, I'm scrawny now. Bet I can fit." So I did, and I could. Crawled right through. Had to take stuff out of my pack to get it to fit, though. I felt an odd sense of pride, like I had just pulled off a heist of epic proportions. What with the staying in jail tonight, I may be just beginning my epic criminal mastermind career. Though I'd probably be a better henchman. 

No match for the criminal mastermind Midnight Sparkle. Muahaha!

1 comment: