Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Another state down.

Yesterday morning the ladies (Lady Moose, Dinosaur, Bean Dip, and Da Vinci) caught up with Geared Up and me. They came into Unionville before we left. I had my milkshake. It was great. I think I'm going to continue this milkshake for breakfast thing even when I get back from the trail. 

When we took off, we split up again because I had to walk back to where I'd left the trail instead of taking a shortcut. It was cool, though, because right on the trail was a wicker couch. Now, if there is a random seat on the trail, it's only polite to sit in it, otherwise someone went to all that effort for nothing. So I did, and called some people to wish them happy Father's Day. 

Caught up with the ladies and Gear reasonably quickly, though Gear took off ahead again. The trail went through a lot of marsh and swamps, but there was a boardwalk over all of it. One section was over a half mile, I think .8 actually. Super easy walking, and we made it to a store that sold ice cream and produce, so I had a pear and my second milkshake of the day. Turning out to be a pretty good day.  

The ladies were planning on going into Vernon, NJ to stay at a church hostel there. I had intended to push on, but I'd got some prickly heat that morning so figured it would be best to do some laundry. There were too many of us for one car, so Bean Dip became my hitching partner, and we rather quickly caught a ride with a couple we'd met on the trail earlier in the day. 

The hostel was nice. They had a shower and laundry, and there was a Dunkin Donuts nearby. Which Bean Dip, Lady Moose, and myself hit up for breakfast and coffee this morning. Really cool guy there gave us a DD gift card, which was pretty awesome. He plays acoustic music, but I couldn't find his YouTube channel. 

Trail Angel Tom, whom we'd met on the trail yesterday had offered to give us a ride to the trailhead this morning, and it took us a couple of trips. Gear and I took the second, along with Purplepants, a guy we'd just met who was doing long sections, over two years. I'd forgot to read my daily Psalm, so Gear went ahead while I did that. 

It was an interesting hiking day. First I met Bear Rattler, a fascinating woman who has traveled the world and done some incredible things. She told me about "tundra hotels," where you watch polar bears on more or less even footing. Sounded awesome. 

The "hiking" was more like bouldering. Lots of scrambles today. Pretty much the whole way. Really, really draining. But there was a light at the end of this tunnel. Belvale Farms Creamery, that shining beacon. Met the rest there. By the time I got there, I was dragging, but two root beers and a milkshake later I was raring to go. The others left, but I wasn't going anywhere until I'd had my second root beer. 

We pushed on to Fitzgerald Falls, about twenty miles, if I remember right. Nice campsite, but the local high school had just finished today, so all of the graduates came out to the same place. They were far enough away that they didn't really bother us. 

Gear and the ladies

Done with Jersey. A little sad. I liked it. 

Me and the ladies on the boardwalk. 

'Murica

So hot out there!

Fitzgerald Falls






2 comments:

  1. Enjoy the milkshakes. Thanks for posting. Love, Aunt Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've started or ended a trip or left a vehicle on NY17A four times just so we cod start and finish the trip with a triple scoop of Bellvale Bog ice cream. It's the bomb.

    ReplyDelete