Friday, June 20, 2014

Twenty more miles.

Got a kind of later start. Was freezing this morning, and even though I woke up at a reasonable time, just couldn't brave the cold. I finally did, of course, but I didn't leave the shelter until after 9. Before I left, I checked on Peppa. Her hives were completely gone.  She said, "You know, most days you wake up and you don't have hives, it's just another day. Today it's like, "Yay! I don't have hives!"" I laughed. 

Probably the coolest thing about today's hike was the Dover Oak, the biggest tree on the AT. This thing was massive and no photo can really capture it's presence. It looms. Over three hundred years old and over 22' around. Big guy. 

Most of the rest of the trail was swamp. Literally. I never realized, but apparently the state of New York is actually one giant swamp. Lot of boardwalks, though. I would probably have quit and gone home if I had to wade these swamps. They look miserable. Really appreciate whoever built these boardwalks. 

I ended up at the Appalachian Trail Railroad Station. This is for real. A small station where they not only drop people off, but also pick them up. I was so tempted to head into Brooklyn to visit Action Vegan, but decided against it. Too many miles still to go. 

Ended up camping at a hiker friendly landscaping company. It is right on the trail, and apparently they have a shower also, though they were closed when I got there. There was a deli half a mile down the road, so I went there and got a sandwich, chocolate milk, and coke. I also picked up some stuff for other people.  Stakes, Cliffwalker, Calamity (just met her), Simba, Dino, Beandip, Da Vinci, and Lady Moose all stayed there, but I was the only one who wanted to walk to the deli. Good food. Twenty more miles down. 

Random selfie.   

Beaver dam, w/instructions. 

The Dover Oak, trekking poles for some scale. 

Some non-swamp areas. 

So much boardwalk. Very nice. 

The AT train station. 






No comments:

Post a Comment