Saturday, June 21, 2014

Connecticut.

Today (the 21st) was one of my best days on trail. Just a great day all around. Started walking this morning with Dino. This was the first time in a while I'd actually hiked with her, and she is great company. 

Bean Dip had taken off really early because she wanted to make it to town and pick up some shoes she had ordered. If I'd realized, I probably would have gone with her, as I was going to do the same thing. Da Vinci caught up with and passed us, she was on a mission today, and she wanted to catch Bean Dip. 

The trail was excellent. Very nice here in Connecticut. There was a covered bridge a little off the trail that I was pretty excited about. I don't know why. I just like them. It was hard to explain to Dino why I was excited. "So, it's just a bridge, with a roof?" "Well, yeah." She agreed to humor me, I think mostly because there was a shop that sold ice cream just past the bridge. 

A cooler! Don't get your hopes up Midnight, it's probably empty. It's not! Mt. Dew Code Red in cans! I was just craving those last night, how awesome. Even better, Dino tried one and didn't like it (crazy Germans), so I got to finish hers. It was already a good day. 

We came across a work crew, a bunch of Ridgerunners and volunteers who were improving the trail. No wonder this place had such great trails, they were working their tails off. Tilt-a-whirl, one of the guys who'd left the trail magic, was one of them. We talked with them for a while. They knew who Dino and I were from word of mouth, which is always a good if somewhat worrisome a feeling. Some were former thru-hikers, one of which was vegan, so she and Dino had an in depth talk while I talked with Tilt. Dino pushed on, and I spoke with some of the other Ridgerunners, and one of them suggested that it would be great if I got rid of any in invasives I came across (obviously meaning plants). I said "The German girl!? She's really not that bad!" They were a good group. 

We ran into Calamity, and hiked with her a while. I told Dino how Calamity Jane was a famous American character from the Wild West. But then no one I asked had ever heard of her. Calamity and I just looked at each other. I felt old. 

The covered bridge was nice, I suppose, but somewhat disappointing.  I was hoping for one of those gorgeous views from the calendars. The ice cream, however, was excellent. Ben and Jerry's deliciousness. Dino and I got a pint each and split them with each other.  Calamity, a flip-flopper and thus new to the trail, made a rookie mistake and only got one ice cream bar. She went back and got a second. She won't make that mistake again. 

Lady Moose caught up with us when we got back on trail.  She announced her presence with a loud "Yaow!" This is how we identify ourselves to each other. The four of us walked together for quite a while, then Dino and Calamity pushed ahead. Lady Moose and I hiked together for a while. She's an excellent hiking partner, as well. Quite funny and interesting. I don't think I'd actually hiked with her since the Shenandoahs. 

At the shelter were two kids out camping with their uncle. I dubbed them Redbeard and Blackbeard, as they liked pirates. Then I taught them the "Yaow!" battlecry. They took to it well. I hope I didn't create monsters, but they were good kids. 

We were camped about a mile outside of Kent at a shelter.  A lot of hikers were there, including Pooh Bear, Chef, Stakes, Cliffwalker, Da Vinci, Dino, Bean Dip, and Lady Moose. The ladies invited me to go rock climbing on the morrow, which sounded fun. I had to zero anyway so I could pick up my mail on Sunday, so sounded good to me. Just an all around great day. 

Dino and some section hikers. 

Full of delicious Code Reds. They can call me whatever they want. 

Dino and the Ridgerunners. 

More people working hard to make my hike easier (these are the ones who wanted me to get rid of the German). 

Me and the covered bridge. 









2 comments:

  1. I talked to Bill at Pine Mountain Outfitters and he told me about you being near/in Kent. We stayed at the FifeNDrum and had a patron jump around us for looking homeless. My pastor (Quazi-Oh-toe), had a salt laced shirt and must have looked rougher than most of the Yuppies that frequent town. Anyway, the look on the man's face was hilarious as he jumped and circled 8 feet around us with a look of disgust and fear. First time I ever felt like true hiker trash.

    ReplyDelete