Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Days after Kent.

Yesterday (23rd) wasn't that great. Was planning on leaving very early from Kent, but realized in the morning that I'd lost my camera somewhere. So that wasn't fun. I thought I might have left it in Shorts' van, but he sent me a text telling me no. So it must have been somewhere I was yesterday. So I backtracked to all the places I'd been, in the opposite order of the way I'd visited them the first time, drawing blank after blank. Finally, I checked Annie Bananies, which I'd saved for last because I was sure I hadn't left it there. Yep. The wonderful lady behind the counter retrieved it for me. I had left it there the morning of the day before. 

So that was great, but all said and done, I didn't leave Kent until after 1400. 

The campsite I went to, Silver Hills or something like that, was really nice. There was a picnic area, a swing, and a pump. Most shelters I've been to didn't have these amenities. One-step, a section-hiker, was there. Buttercup showed up later. She attempted a thru-hike last year, but was injured around Kent, so she was back to finish. She is extremely ambitious, attempting to finish on July 25. To me, that's fast. But she is an ultra-marathon runner. Impressive woman. 

Today, well, sucked. I slept terribly, woke up late and was the last one out of camp. I felt tired and drained. Didn't see a hiker all day. 

First person I saw was a guy running, and he invited me to stay at his place for the evening, but he was doing a long run and there was no way I was going to walk the several miles off the trail to his place. Appreciated the offer, though. 

Soon after that was the turn off to a small town where I could grab some food and a coke. But I missed it. Instead of backtracking, I pushed on. I cut the day shorter than I'd planned, a little under twenty, I guess. I just camped on a flat spot just off the trail. Bad day. 

They found my phone! Thanks!

Random selfie. 


No comments:

Post a Comment