Friday, June 20, 2014

A better day.

Went to the zoo today. For realz. 

Today (18th) was just a much better day. I think pure temperature was actually even hotter, but there was a breeze all day long and mostly shaded pathways, so it felt much cooler. 

The trail also ran through Bear Mountain State Park, and the closest we get to NYC. Bear Mountain was pretty nice, easy graded walking, a lovely lake, and a zoo and museum. When I walked up there, the lake was pretty busy with civilians. There was this one lady in a dress who was waving at me. I was confused, until I got closer and saw backpacks. It was Peppa, who I honestly didn't recognize at first. Ro Sham Bo, Shakespeare, Marshmallow (who's been knighted, now he's Sir Marshmallow of the Mountain), Sole Power, Purple Blaze, and Purple Blaze's two great aunts. It was nice to see thru-hikers again. They were all staying there, except PB who was going with her family. 

At this point the AT literally runs right through the middle of a zoo. No exotic animals, only indigenous ones, but still neat. Saw my ninth bear. Foxes, porcupines, various snakes, etc. The lowest point on the whole trail is directly in front of the bear cage. I also checked out the history museum until they ran me out because they closed at 1630. 

As soon as I left the zoo I crossed the Hudson. Big river. Also, the middle of the bridge was 1400 miles. Long ways. Ugh. Still almost 800 to go. Also a long ways. 

The rest of the hike was interesting, I just had to make it to the Appalachian Deli, a 24 hr establishment right on the trail that was listed in the guide as a good place for a full resupply and to grab a bite to eat. I was pretty much out of food, so needed to resupply pretty bad. 

This became my first experience with the rude New Yorker. Almost everyone I met so far in NY has been friendly and polite. This guy was like the Soup Nazi. Luckily that's an episode of Seinfeld I saw. I asked if the burgers were good, so he throws his arms up and says "I don't know, I guess." So I say okay, I'll take that with the steak fries. "You want Philly Cheesesteak fries?" I asked him what those were, and he threw up his hands muttering and turned away from me to finish the other orders already in. He ignored me for a few minutes, until he was finished with everyone else's stuff, then asked me again what I wanted.  I said "I want the Double Burger with the steak fries." He said okay and started working on it. The resupply was not a full one. It was expensive and lacking a lot. It was convenient, however. I got mostly cookies to sustain me the next two or three days. Literally. With peanut butter and some honey to round my diet out. 

About a mile farther up was the Gratmoor Spurituality Center, a Friary. They let hikers stay on their ball field, where they had a picnic shelter with electricity as well as a shower, that only had cold water. Very, very cold water. Even better, the ladies were there. Dino, Beandip, Da Vinci, and Lady Moose. It was good to hear their adventures over the past couple of days. Myself, Beandip, and Dino set our beds on picnic tables. Da Vinci and Lady Moose were in Da Vinci's tent, because of mosquitoes. Those buggers have been nasty. Tomorrow should be a nice day of hiking. 

Foxes at the zoo. 

The Hudson. 

1400 miles. Long way. 


1 comment:

  1. Had a storm blow in on us at Graymoor. Thankfully we could move the picnic tables. Did you see the puzzle orb we left there? The Deli was rude to is too, so it's just their way. I think it was all foreigners.

    ReplyDelete