Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Bigelows. And 2000 miles.

The Bigelows are pretty much the last big hurdle before Katahdin. There are some bumps in the terrain, but it looks mostly smooth sailing. Which is good, because I have to crush some mileage. 

This morning was still recovery for me. I had the room at the White Wolf until eleven, and I was going to maximize my investment. Lying in bed in the morning is such a luxury. I eventually went downstairs for breakfast, where I had an omelette and French toast. The omelette was great, the French toast okay. That stuffed me, so I went grocery shopping. Stratton is a rather tiny town, with 600+ residents. The area the hotels and hostel were located in was centrally located, and they all had chairs and benches facing Main Street. Hikers were in all of them, it seemed. 

I ran into a lot of people I knew this morning. Mr. Jingles and Dr. Zoom (who told me Naked Ninja was also there, but sick), and a bunch I hadn't seen in forever. Cool Hand and Stumbles were there, and very happily for me, so was Sunbear. I was pretty happy to see him. 

If you ever go to Stratton, eat at the "Diner." That's its name, but it's a little more sophisticated than that. They've got some sort of Cordon Bleu chef, or something that sounded snobby like that. In any case, great food. 

Sidenote, apparently whatever bug I had had also made a lot of people in Stratton sick a few weeks back. I blame sobos. I have no basis for that, but I'm going to anyway. 

Hiking today was pretty good. The Bigelows are quite lovely, and while steep and challenging, they're not quite as bad as southern Maine. Ran into Purpleblaze also, hadn't seen her since Elusive's picnic in Maryland. Eight miles today, but going to attempt 25 tomorrow. Should be okay if I get an early enough start. 

Oh yeah, 2000 miles today. 

Stunning view A

Stunning view B. 

Stunning view C. 

Stunning view D. 

Stunning view E. 


No comments:

Post a Comment